No announcement yet.

Alternator belt trick: all from up top!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator belt trick: all from up top!

I was bummed today after leaving thoughts at Dean's funeral online guestbook. I figured what better way to follow that than to work on my car. And one of them always needs something!

I had a new alternator belt to install and put Twinstiva up on the ramps. It's not difficult, but kind of a pain. I wish I had permanent ramps in my backyard. How nice would that be?

On the other hand, I've often wondered if I could get to the lower alternator bolt (14mm, where it pivots off the engine block hole) from up top instead of having to get underneath. This would be especially nice for emergency repair/adjustment "on the road."

I bet some of you more experienced mechanics do this anyway, but I didn't know if I could or not. I figured it was possible. So today I tried.

First I used my usual long handled box end wrench. At around 11" or so, it was too long and the firewall and other parts limited any movement.

Next I tried my large Craftsman socket wrench. Same thing, only it was even bulkier than the first tool and the socket added more space in the wrong way.

So then I tried my Craftsman combination wrench. It measures almost exactly 7" long.

First I felt for the pivot bolt head, which was easy to find, since I'm familiar with doing alternator and belt replacements. Then I fit the 7" wrench on and was able to undo the bolt till it was loose! SUCCESS!

(Yes, I had already put her up on the ramps, but I didn't need to.)

Belt got changed and I was able to just as easily tighten the pivot bolt. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

I could've done it all from up top, with no ramps.

From now on, I will. The new belt will undoubtedly need tightening in the next day or two and I won't be as lazy, knowing now how easy it will be.

Now if the alternator needs replaced, it might be easier to do that from both top and bottom, but if you're not juggling a loose alternator, this will work fine, and using a short (7" long) wrench should prevent any chance of overtightening your pivot bolt.

(Perhaps DJ and Dean were prodding me to be a bit more creative for a change, too.)

Karl, feeling better
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

cool thanks for sharing!
    1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
    1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
    1983 Chevy Elcamino
    1993 Ford Festiva GL
    2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
    some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

Thats how I took my alt. belt off was from the top, but I don't remember if I used a wrench or a ratchet.
      Last edited by wybnrml; 03-19-2010, 11:23 AM.
      '90 LX

Comment

I used to have a '91 that had a bad crankshaft seal, it would spew oil all over. Occasionally I'd have to pull the alternator and wash it out with brake cleaner. Got really good at pulling the belt off.

Ahh, the memories of that car. The first car I bought from a dealer. Saw most of California in her. My friend and I would point to a spot on the map and just go there on the weekend.
        Sadly, being young and dumb I treated that poor car like a Ferarri and it didn't last six years. Biggest mistake I ever did was trade it in when the engine died. Shoulda kept it and replaced the motor. But now I have another one and will take proper care of it.
        John

91L 5-speed, RIP
        89L 4-speed, teal/white
        http://johnriederer.blogspot.com

Comment

DO you have an engine swap, or AC?

My alternator is a piece of cake for doing from up top, no swap, no AC...
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Twinstiva is a stock B3 5 speed with no A/C or any other options under the hood. So there is as much room as one can get.

I'm still tickled at being able to do this though.

Karl

Comment

I've also done it on B6 and B6t cars from the top... i think I may have done it from the bottom the first time but I'm not sure. I've done alternators all from the top as well, it just takes some wiggling.
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                Twinstiva is a stock B3 5 speed with no A/C or any other options under the hood. So there is as much room as one can get.

I'm still tickled at being able to do this though.

Karl
                Cool! I was just wondering....
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

never had an issue changing the belt from the top....one car has air and one doesn't. Don't remember right now but I am pretty sure I had no reason to think I would have to do it from the bottom.

Glad you figured it out Karl
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Ha ha. I think it's in the shop manual to do it that way.

I'm probably one of the last ones to figure this out!

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                      Ha ha. I think it's in the shop manual to do it that way.

I'm probably one of the last ones to figure this out!

Karl
                      Thats ok....you were just being CAUTIOUS and SAFE....lol
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                      X