Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Leak -- 92 Festy

Hey Guys,
    A few months ago my car was abruptly started leaking gasoline under the tank. Upon closer inspection it looked like it was coming from the area where the fuel filler neck goes into the tank, but we were unable to get a good look at where exactly it was coming from because it was on the top 1/2 of the tank above the seam and not visible without disassembling a lot of the interior and removing the gas tank. Since then I have been only putting in 2 gallons at a time and with that little gas there hasn't been a leak.

Today, in 33 degree weather I finally convinced my boyfriend to help me remove the tank to try to fix the problem. When we finally got the tank out, the whole area near where the filler neck goes into the tank looks like it has been wet recently, but we cannot tell exactly where the leak was - there are no obvious cracks or holes in the tank, also all of the hoses and metal tubes in the area look new and have no signs of leaking.

Has anyone had a problem like this before. My boyfriend said that he though it could be a problem with the vapor recovery since that is right in the area, but would that cause a leak? Are there common problems with Festy gas tanks?

I really need my car fixed so I can drive it 200 miles X-Mas eve to see my family so any help is appreciated. I hate to put it back together without at least trying something to fix it.

Thanks
    -Katie-
    I <3 my 1992 Festy L
    180,000 and 180,000 more to go

Filler Neck

It sounds like your filler neck is rotten. When filling up your neck is leaking and running down to where the neck goes into the tank giving the impression that the tank is leaking.
    1996 Aspire, 2DR 5SPD 185 60 14, Aluminum rims, Mild Stereo system, some neon tubes, 185 000 km not a speck of rust runs like a champ
    B8-ME Swap COMPLETED.

Comment

did you remove the drivers side interior panels and the carpet under the rear seat first? you would have exposed the fuel sending unit access plate and the filler neck access plate and to access some of the emission system hoses. to see where the fuel would be coming from, when you put fuel in the tank, before actually removing the tank.

it would also be VERY HELPFUL if you read my "STICKY" at the top of this forum! about when posting here, include your YEAR and MODEL of your vehicle!!!

Comment

Working...
      X