Throttle stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle stuck

Had something strange happen to me after work today.

I started up the car and the RPMs went up to about 4500 without me touching the gas pedal.

I opened the hood and examined the throttle, which was stuck tight at about 1/4 open, and there was no tension on the accelerator cable.

After driving for a few minutes, the problem fixed itself.

Last night was the first hard freeze of the year, which I think may have had something to do with this, but when I drove to work this morning I had no problems.

Is this an attempt on my life or is there a logical explanation for what happened?

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Sounds like it might be time for a good dousing of carb cleaner into the throttle body.......

Don

Comment

or just time to finally rebuild the carb i just finished mine, if i can figure out the linkage. any chance i can get ya to take a few pics for me? the only one i had was very little help
      Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
      1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
      1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
      2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Originally posted by aithanmier
        . any chance i can get ya to take a few pics for me? the only one i had was very little help

Sure!

Check your PMs in about an hour.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

stuck

i had the same problem with my 93 festiva. about 3 times a year the throttle would get stuck and i almost ran over someone on a parking lot. so someone on this board told me to clean the outside of the throttle body and it has worked fine so far. i also removed a piece of carpeting i put in instead of a regular mat so that may have caused it also

Comment

Working...
          X