Steering rack boot fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack boot fit

I bought a new set of steering rack boots (manual steering) from a guy on eBay. He claimed they were for the Festiva's manual steering rack. When I went to put them on, the tie rod end fit perfectly, but the rack end is terribly loose. If it wasn't for the "lip" on the steering rack, I could probably slide it on to the spot where the rack mounting bushing is located. Did the guy sell me some "fits all" or power steering rack boots, or are all the replacement boots loose on the rack end? I threw away the old ones before I got the new ones so I can't compare the 2 boots.

You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Mine were really tight on the outer edge (tie rod end edge) and a little loose on the other end. Not terribly so, just a little loose. Probably what he has is a set of universal boots. They'll work fine. Did yours come with metal bands, or zip ties to hold them in place?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
      Did yours come with metal bands, or zip ties to hold them in place?
      They came with zip ties, but I have the tool and metal bands to install boots on CV axles, so I used the metal CV bands. The boots were big enough that when I tightened the band, there is a tiny wrinkle in the rubber, but it is tight enough that it can't be pulled off.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I used universal shock boots and wide zip ties. Works great and you can get them in all kinds of colors
        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

I got a pair of boots that were definitely Not loose. I eventually gave up and took the steering rack out of the car, and It was still tough to get them on.

Comment

Why used?
            I got a new set from Napa for $30 each.
            (with zipties...)
            Did cenus work, been on "roads" I shouldn't have!

Comment

30 each Jesus christ dude.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
              X