can't find head bolt tork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't find head bolt tork

searched even called the dealer and they don't know what the tork spec to the head bolts is to the 89 festiva can anyone help me

thanks

Luis

Check in the Haynes manual. You should find the torque values at the beginning of the engine maintenance chapter in the measurements & torque table.
    GT

Comment

my mazda manual tells me 76-81 Nm for the B3 engine

Comment

I was trying to make him search for it.

The Haynes manual calls for a two-stage torque on the head bolts. First 40 ft-lbs, and then the final 60 ft-lbs. I did mine in three stages, 20, 40, and 60 ft-lbs as it just made sense to me.

Question: Is it true that you should re-torque your head bolts after about 500 miles? I've put about 20-30k miles on my engine since I replaced the head gasket, and it hasn't blown yet. I'm thinking about pulling the valve cover off to make sure they're torqued down properly, but I'm not going to do it if it's not necessary.
        GT

Comment

thanks guys i guessed at 65 but it still didn't fix the problem i think the head or block is blown

Comment

Originally posted by Kindred
            Question: Is it true that you should re-torque your head bolts after about 500 miles? I've put about 20-30k miles on my engine since I replaced the head gasket, and it hasn't blown yet. I'm thinking about pulling the valve cover off to make sure they're torqued down properly, but I'm not going to do it if it's not necessary.
            nope. never did that. and there is no note in the manuals telling that.

you may want to do that on a supra mk3. but not on mazda engines

Comment

it depends on the gasket. oem ford/mazda gaskets don't 'relax' after being heat cycled. neither do fel-pro blue stripes. not sure about the mcCords and victors...
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
              X