cv axle installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv axle installation

got the old ones out now putting new ones in but im having trouble getting the ring to lock in place on the inner end of the axle that goes into the tranny, is th ring supposed to be positioned a certain way? like the part where it is seperated supposed to face upward? i noticed the ring can be spun around on the end of the axle, now I can get the axle end into the tranny to where it causes the other axle and hub to rotate with it but i know it needs to lock. any pointers for this?
    91 red l-

did you pull both axles at the same time? if so, the geaqrs inside the trans can flip out of position. I believe you gotta pull the trans apart to fix
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

man that is a bummer...

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Nahhhh....If he has resistance and when you turn one the other spins the opposite way....everything should be good. Is there any resistance at all when you try to pull them out? You can also try lining the axle up straight and tapping....(TAPPING means tapping) the end with a hammer till it seats. I have done it a couple times. It might just be easy to take apart.
        Have you tried putting you old axle back in just to see how it feels?
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Had trouble putting mine back in one time. For some reason if I put the gap in the ring pointing up it snaps in very easy. I have done it several times on different festivas and always seems to work this way very easy, at least for me.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

oh nah I knew not to pull both out at the same time, i did one at a time i figured it out I just had to /forcefully finess them in lol the new axles look way nicer than the oem, they are heavyier and thicker/stronger looking. now for that bp....
            91 red l-

Comment

What brand of axles did you put in?
              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
              1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
              1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
              1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
              1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
              1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
              1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Thanks for the advice on both axles, it's exactly what I would have done. I would have gotten the car put up and had my helper (aka son) pull one side while I did the other so as 'to get done faster'
                Now I'll know not to do that
                John

91L 5-speed, RIP
                89L 4-speed, teal/white
                http://johnriederer.blogspot.com

Comment

not sure on the brand, have to check and get back on that
                  91 red l-

Comment

I have transported and stored transaxles without either axle in or even anything there and never had a gear drop. I have heard the same thing from alot of other people two.
                    The Festiva Store
                    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X