Break in questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break in questions

I figure this might stir up some different opinions....

I'm currently installing a rebuilt head with new cam, putting in new rod bearings and piston rings.

What is the recommended break in procedure? This is a B6 engine with close to 2000,000 miles on it.
    Last edited by fastivaca; 03-26-2010, 09:11 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

From the Chilton manual:

Make the first miles on the new engine, easy ones. Vary the speed but do not accelerate hard. Most importantly, do not lug the engine, and avoid sustained high speeds until at least 100 miles. Check the engine oil and coolant levels frequently. Expect the engine to use a little oil until the rings seat. Change the oil and filter at 500 miles, 1500 miles, then every 3000 miles past that.

I have heard some crazy break in procedures over the years though
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

^heard of that, and also heard of getting it up to temp, then whiping the crap out of it for a few miles... not sure which i'd go with.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Did you hone the cylinders? If not, do. Otherwise the rings won't sit/wear right. I would use 30w oil to break in.
        Oscar

Comment

I'll be honing the cylinders in the morning. Another question... I have the head off but there's quite a bit of "stuff" stuck to the block. Is there something I can do to make the scraping/cleaning job a little easier? The engine is still in the car.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Oh ya...2 of the craziest I've seen: I know a guy who takes the car out and guns the engine and then immediately lets off for like 20 times in a row. I know another who's method it to get the engine up to temp, drain the water, and then let it briefly run hot :tard:

Per the second method - I told him the goal was to seat the rings....not collapse them.

The weirdest method I use is to find a long downhill straightaway, get the car up to 65mph at the top of the hill, kill the engine, and then let the car coast down to around 20mph. I'll do this about 5 times. It was explained to me that this procedure exerts a pull on the pistons (back drag) instead of a push from normal combustion and helps seat rings. I'm not sure if there's any truth to it but I've done it to many engines I've rebuild and never had any issues with seating rings. I feel more comfortable with this since it's more of a non-destructive procedure than some of the others I've seen

Also, I only run the break in oil for less than 1k and then change it.
            Last edited by Zanzer; 03-26-2010, 10:14 PM.

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              I'll be honing the cylinders in the morning. Another question... I have the head off but there's quite a bit of "stuff" stuck to the block. Is there something I can do to make the scraping/cleaning job a little easier? The engine is still in the car.
              If the stuff you're talking about is the old head gasket you can get a liquid gasket remover to soak the crud with that helps loosen it up a bit.

Also, is there a ridge in the top of the cylinder walls? If there is I would recommend knocking it down with a ridge reamer before honing.
              Last edited by Zanzer; 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM.

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Make sure you use a healthy amount of cam assembly/break in lube on all the camshaft lobes. Typical break-in procedure for a new cam in an OHV motor would be an immediate sustained rpm of 2000 to 2500 for about 15 minutes. Not sure about OHC with followers, or if it even matters. I suppose that technically you should run brand new rockers on a brand new cam, but that's probably a bit anal.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

X2 on the 2k for 20 minutes. Forgot about that one.

I've been building alot of roller motors lately and it's kinda made me lazy LOL

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

This thread got me thinking about it as well. Except for the Festiva, every other car I have (that I currently drive) has a roller cam. That reminded me of the issues of reduced levels of Zinc/Phosphorus levels in motor oils (beginning in Jan 2007) and issues with flat tappet engines. I think I'll start a separate thread in the General Discussion forum...................
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

^ That's why I only use 15w-40
                      Oscar

Comment

Diesel oil FTW. I think Rotella T Synthetic still has ZDDP and its 5w-40.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

hey your best guess if u wana know ask the powerblock tv show they will tell you watching it right now since i'm off from work today
                          FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

high idle and get it up to temp quick ( no garden hose in radiator ) run for a few minutes, shut it down check for leaks and damage. Let cool and fire it up and drive under very slight load for 1/2 hour, let it cool, recheck everything and drive. after 200 miles beat on it.

or just do what these guys do....

Formula 1 dyno testing day turned up your speakers awesome video
                            Last edited by NovaSS; 03-27-2010, 09:34 AM.
                            money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                              Diesel oil FTW. I think Rotella T Synthetic still has ZDDP and its 5w-40.
                              From what I have read, Rotella T also had to reduce the ZDDP. Chevron Delo is supposed to be the new stuff to use. There may be issues with ash deposits when using high levels of ZDDP (like in diesel oil) in modern cars with O2 sensors & cat converters. I started a thread in General Discussion forum where I posted a link to some info.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X