cv joint on an Aspire help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv joint on an Aspire help

Brought my Aspire in for cv joint replacement and the guy is having trouble, and someone help me here, he can't get the axel out from the splines, says they're binding now he's ordering a $130 tool?
    Can someone tell me what's going on and help me lay it out for him>
    Thanks

If your talking about pulling the axle out of the trans sometimes you have to pull really hard.
    '90 LX

Comment

and pry and hit and wedge... much blood, sweat, and maybe tears.

if your mechanic can't get it out I would suggest getting another mechanic.
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I just went over and he's got this huge fork type of device, doesn't want to pry to hard against the aluminium trans. We got it out by hammering the fork, didn't want to cause any damage for me. This was a b***h. I've done them before and his one was just really stuck. He really did not need help, only me there so if we did break the trans it would be on me. thanks everyone

Comment

cool, glad you got it out.
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...

Facebook Me!

Comment

I actually had one in my old Festy 4-speed trans that I never did get out. I junked it with the tranny. I beat, pryed, swore and cursed like a drunken sailor, bled and cried. Finally I had succum to the fact that it was a blessing in disquise. I purchased 2 brand new axles from advance and never turned back.

But I am glad he got yours out.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Had this happen on my last aspire. Had to take a crow bar and kick the crowbar to get that sucker to pop out. It did and everything went well after that.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Seems I spoke a little prematurely yesterday as one side was out and I left. Got called this morning that he could not get the other side out, well I went back over and he's got this fork back in and he's hitting it with a 12 pound sledgehammer and the fork is bending. I said stop I don't want to damage the tranny. So he put it back together and now I still need the axles changed and don't know what to do. I went over to Ford but they seem clueless. Suggestions, thoughts?

Comment

Put something more rigid in there like a real crowbar. Not those flimsy things that will transfer all the energy into bending it or flexing it. I have also used a bike seat post that I hammered one end flat on. Good luck to you.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Well it was put back together and the clicking when turning has abated although this isn't a long term answer it helps a bit.
                    I have seen the fork that was being beat on and it's now got a very nice bend in it.

Comment

sounds like he needs something a little more sturdy for next time. I usually take a fat chizel and hammer it inbetween the axle bearing cup and the trans case like a wedge and that works 99% of the time to get the circlip popped out.

Facebook Me!

Comment

Working...
                      X