1990 5 speed shifter sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 5 speed shifter sticking

I have a 1990 Festiva L with the 5 speed. The transmission seems to work very well in all the gears, except when i go to take it out of 5th, it takes alot of effort to get it to go back to neutral/ downshift. Nothing impossible, just frustrating when i am trying to downshift for a hill. Any suggestion on how to make it loosen up? This is my first manual trans and I love driving it, but have no clue how to work on it.

i would say try to unload the trans as you pull out of 5th and see if that makes it easier (don't use the clutch for this, just your right foot).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Umm Since i have been introduced to the world of standard transmissions not more than 5 days ago, could you clarify what you mean by "unload the trans"? I am a complete 5 speed noob, and have been teaching myself to drive it.

Comment

ever have the shift cable for the clutch adjusted i bought 6 of them since they were cheap and i know they rust were the nut is i know autozone has to specal order them lol
        FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

oh, ok. if you're in a gear (any gear will work for this, but i dont recomend 1st or 2nd for learning purposes) come to a seady cruise speed. at this point the trans is loaded (providing torque to wheels to maintain speed). now if you were to completely lift off the throtle (still in gear), you would again be loading the trans but this time the engine will be trying to slow you down. the trick is to find that dead zone where there's no torque being applied to the trans.

to unload the trans without the clutch being used, lightly lift off the gas (engine noise will get very quiet) and lightly tug on the gear shifter. it should want to slip right into nutral. then from there, once you get used to it, you can revmatch the trans and engine to the next gear and never have to touch the clutch.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Oh ok, I understand what you are saying. To test this i tried running through the gears with the engine off, and it was easier, but not as easy as the other gears. I might look into adjusting the shift cable as 1998redfordfestiva said. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

just be careful when adjusting...get it good and lubed cause they can snap off....trust me...
              Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Adjusting the shift cable isn't a bad idea, but I don't see how its going to help with a shifting problem, if you don't have an issue in gears 1-4.
                Wondering about the shift gate.
                And 1988redfordfestiva is correct the adjusting nut will rust-up solid, best to look at it first and if its hopeless get another cable. If not hit it with some BP Blaster Also to adjust the cable properly you will need to adjust the other end of the cable for free play.
                Check your Hayness/Ford manual (you of course have a manual) for the procedure.
                Otherwise, we can get you an abridged version of the procedure.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Should have the manual next week, i will wait on that before trying anything.

Comment

also check the spring they do tend to go bad to i replaced mine i have it driving with broken parts but am in the process of buying parts just been busy driving car and truck to work and saving money for the finish of these 2 great cars

Comment

? how many miles does the trans have on it ? i remember a tsb on the festiva trans for older models i discovered about something with sycroids braking apart gears hard to shift also same with gear forks and bearings

Comment

The odometer has 85k on it, but i have no idea if that is right, as it is on a mileage exempt title because of it's age. could have a lot more if the guage cluster was ever swapped

Comment

How about the bushing in the shifter stabilizer bar? If it's worn/sloppy it'll cause similar problems.

Comment

Ok, I don't know how to check that, may be picking up the repair manual on the way home tonight, that should tell me how right? Looks like a weekend of tearing apart the car. Not that that's a bad thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
                              How about the bushing in the shifter stabilizer bar? If it's worn/sloppy it'll cause similar problems.
                              ^^^
                              X1
                              I think this is more likely than even the shift gate or the clutch cable.
                              I'd still spend the time to adjust/replace the clutch cable though.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X