No announcement yet.

Over heating Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well honestly I am not very good with diagnosing the problem. I haven't been a car mechanic until I bought this car. Just by working on it I've learned quite a bit though. All I know is that I told a friend my overheating problem and he suggested flushing the radiator. So I did and it seemed to help, but then it overheated a couple months after. I've read earlier about checking sensors and fuses so I will defintally check those tomorrow and get my older brother to help me out. I really do appreciate you guys taking time out and helping me with all my problems. I just thought JohnGunn was judging a little quickly and it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. But it was a misunderstanding so I defintally should apologize for any wrong feelings or remarks. So how much would a Hayne's manual go for? It sounds like it is defintally worth the money. But if more than 20 bones, I'm not sure if I can afford that on just a manual right now.

Comment

Glad to hear that you really want a manual. I understand being short of cash and realize that is a lot different from just not thinking something is important enough to bother with.

Check out this link for used manuals.

Hope this helps.

John Gunn
      Coronado, CA
      Last edited by JohnGunn; 04-11-2010, 01:57 AM.
      John Gunn
      Coronado, CA

Improving anything
      Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

thank you JohnGunn I appreciate the links, and i am sorry for being like that. I feel bad. This is a really great forum and i would love to be able to ask festiva experts for advice.

Comment

In addition to fixing your overheating problem, there are a few other things you should check before your trip:

-Hoses. Look for bulging, softness or damage. Be sure to inspect that small U-shaped hose on the front of the engine, near the distributor. It's usually rotten and ready to blow.

- Wheel Bearings. What I consider the only design flaw in these cars. Check them for play, noise, and discoloration. Repacking them with grease as well is a good idea.

-Belts. Check for cracks and damage. The last thing you want is a timing or drive belt to blow in the middle of nowhere. Carrying a spare of each is a good idea.

-Brakes, suspension, and tires. Check all these for wear/damage when you have the car jacked up to look at the bearings.

-Spare tire. Make sure it's inflated and the jack/tire iron are present.

-Lights and electrical. Make sure everything is working, for obvious reasons.

Overall these cars are extremely reliable and parts usually give you ample warning when they're about to fail.

Good luck!

-Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Short-term fixes for the overheating:
            180 degree thermostat and gasket, about $10. There are two grades of Stant thermostat--get the more expensive one
            turn on the heat, open a rear window to let it out
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks guys, and I just took my Festiva on a 6 hour trip while it was about 90 degrees, and I am very pleased to say it never even came close to overheating!

Comment

So what did you do to it?
                1991 Festiva EFI
                Papabug

Comment

Originally posted by Papabug View Post
                  So what did you do to it?
                  I agree. Since you just solved this problem, you are in the best position to comment on what you did and what you think helped the most. It's time for you step up.

John Gunn
                  Coronado, CA
                  John Gunn
                  Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                  Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
                  X