Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell when the issue is bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell when the issue is bearings?

I think that's what I'm starting to get issues with, but am not sure.

Issue is occasional, but what is happening is that sometimes, at speeds between 90 and 120 kmh (55 to 70ish mph) I'll occasionally get a bit of a pull to the right and a noise that sounds like a rrrrrrhou sort of sound. Only affecting the right front from what I can tell. It'll pull for maximum three seconds or so with intermittent pull and noise and then stop pulling and drive normally.

And again, car normally runs fine, issue will occur (when it does) at faster speeds. When it does happen, then it seems to be random.. main factor that brings it on will be speed. So, I'm thinking non lubrication might be the issue.. just not sure what to lubricate.

Ideas? Second opinions?

And yes, I do have a Festiva manual on the way.. but it's not here yet (being shipped from the US).
    Carz:
    '09 Ford F-150
    '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
    '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
    225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
    ...and definitely more soon..

I'd check the cv joints also.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

When I think bearing problems I don't think intermittent. When they go bad the noise is always there getting louder as you accelerate.

From your description I would suspect some looseness somewhere that is harmonically triggered into vibration by certain speeds and road conditions.

One thing that I would check is the free movement of the right brake caliper. If the caliper is sticking it could be putting pressure on the inside of the rotor which would cause the wheel to be pushed to the right.

To test, jack up that wheel, remove the wheel, remove the pads and see if you can move the caliper fairly easily on its mounting bushings using only your hands. If not lubricate them. You might be able to see uneven wear on the inside pad, even without removing them. This is admittedly a long shot, but easy to test and fix should it happen to be the source of the problem.

John Gunn
      Coronado, CA
      Last edited by JohnGunn; 04-10-2010, 03:24 AM.
      John Gunn
      Coronado, CA

Improving anything
      Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

The rear bearing don't always give you a lot of warning when they go. My left rear one made some noise one day. I thought, "Might be time to do rear bearings" The next day, the left rear fried itself. Ruined the spindle too.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
          The rear bearing don't always give you a lot of warning when they go. My left rear one made some noise one day. I thought, "Might be time to do rear bearings" The next day, the left rear fried itself. Ruined the spindle too.
          So true. They give you, maybe, one day's fair notice, then all bets are off. I keep a spare set of bearings for each Festiva at the house, so the first time they start talking, they get changed.

Back to the OPs question, which seems to relate to the other end of the car.
          John Gunn is right. Usually bearings make noise at all speeds when they are going bad. Louder at higher speeds, but they tend to make noise at any speed above 0. I'm leaning toward your issue being CV/Halfshaft related. Any work been done to these lately? I'm kind of wondering if your main hub nut is properly torqued down, with a good seal behind it. Might not hurt to check both sides. Proper torque specs per my Hayne's is between 116-174 ft/lbs.

Also, if you do check these, please go buy a new pair of hub nuts and outer seals BEFORE you do anything. These things must be staked in place after torquing, and re using them is NEVER a good idea. Except for dire road side emergencies, of course.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

loud humming noise and vibration and screeching
            FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Originally posted by 1988redfordfestiva View Post
              loud humming noise and vibration and screeching
              Sounds like bearings.
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Another way to narrow down the issue to bearings or something else is this:
                if you think it's your right front bearing for example, does the noise go away or get a lot quieter when you make right turns? Because in making a right turn, you are taking away the load on the right front (and for that matter right rear) wheel.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

One test for CV joints is to drive slowly in tight circles (eg. in an empty parking lot) and listen for irregularities. My front bearings squealed on the highway when they needed replacement. A garage will usually raise the car and tug on the tire to see if the bearings are worn and loose. If you rise the car there are a lot of other things you can tug on in the wheel well to check for looseness.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

my inner seals were bad thats how i knew mine were bad plus it was dry owner left a note tag with a set of bearings and seals in the car real nice of him to do this tho still havent been able to trace down the last owner tho kinda of a bummer he knew alot about the car tho from inside and out so yeah i would like to know his advice since i'm not to good with some things on the car
                    FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Bad bearings will usually sound like a cropduster airplane and cv joints will click when going around corners. To check your bearings, jack one wheel up off the ground, one at a time. Grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and see if it has movement in and out. Meaning, push with your left and pull with your right and then opposite, repeat. Then grab the tire at 12 and 6 and wiggle back and forth. There should be a little play and I do mean a little. If it is much more than a very little, time to repack or replace your bearings.
                      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                      #2 .....Cheesehead
                      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                      #4 .....Montana Project
                      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                      Bought her back for $450
                      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

My front bearings didnt make noise at speed thay inly made noise when coming to a stop with the wheel turned ( pulling into a parking spot) then one day leaving work i heard click click eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and i thought i was gonna die. So i did the proper thing and swapped aspire front parts on it . However it does spund like ypu are having bearing problems. Good time for a swap. Keep us updated.

Dan

Comment

Will do, am home tomorrow, so will try jacking it up and seeing what kind of travel I may or may not be getting.

Used to have a set of ramps for this, but my wife thought that her truck would go up them. It did, and squashed them flat. :p
                          Carz:
                          '09 Ford F-150
                          '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
                          '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
                          225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
                          ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Originally posted by darrenryall View Post
                            Used to have a set of ramps for this
                            Ramps won't work for this. Have to jack up each corner so you can wiggle the tire.
                            ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                            #2 .....Cheesehead
                            #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                            #4 .....Montana Project
                            SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                            Bought her back for $450
                            Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Working...
                            X