horn connection issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horn connection issue

My horn on a 90 Festiva is not working. I have the steering wheel off and on the back side is a slightly damaged (bent) metal ring that goes around the steering shaft. I can see than someone had been messing with this before, what I have is what looks like a piece of heavy gauge wire pushed down through a hole in the turn signal arrangement which is carrying the current to the afore mentioned ring. It appears that this wire is supposed to contact the ring (it is not) and then the horn button, etc. What is supposed to be where this wire comes out of the hole? Any ideas on some fabrication? Would like to keep original horn button arrangement. Thanks for any ideas.

on my festiva the thick wire ends with a plastick sleeve, then the other end of this sleeve is pushed over some metal and when pushed down upon but the horn button creates a circut, maby you just need to push the sleeve over more of the metal, try sticking some wire in the sleeve, then touching the other end to some metal on the stearing weel, if it workes then you know the problums with the end of the wire

Comment

I do have connection (current and functioning horn) when I make contact from the thick wire that goes down into the steering/turn signal apparatus, the problem is at the other end when it, I'm guessing is suppose to have some type of brush to make contact with the metal ring on the back of the steering wheel. Right now it is just what appears to be a broken, roughly cut piece of wire with no spring to adjust to the changing elevation of the metal ring around the steering wheel as it turns. Does that make sense?

Comment

I have tried to attach two photos. My finger is pointing at the wire coming out of the steering wheel post and also at the metal ring on the back of the steering wheel. How are these two suppose to make contact?

Comment

Attached is a picture of a 1990 Festiva combination switch.

I would abandon any hope that you will be able to buy the missing part by itself. Start shopping for a replacement switch in the "for sale" forum or at your local junk yards. I think any 1990-1993 switch will work. Earlier switches will not work.

John Gunn
          Coronado, CA
          John Gunn
          Coronado, CA

Improving anything
          Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Originally posted by jkilling View Post
            I have tried to attach two photos. My finger is pointing at the wire coming out of the steering wheel post and also at the metal ring on the back of the steering wheel. How are these two suppose to make contact?[ATTACH]3214[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3215[/ATTACH]
            o i was confused i think, On the fiesta i worked on the "thick" wire was not as thick, and it was longer, it came up threw the center of the steering wheel and then on the front side, connected to a kind of metal spike on the left side.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I used a old ball point pin shaft, the wire spring and the metal cap you depress to extend the pin. Works great so far!

Comment

Originally posted by n0a1ias View Post
                o i was confused i think, On the fiesta i worked on the "thick" wire was not as thick, and it was longer, it came up threw the center of the steering wheel and then on the front side, connected to a kind of metal spike on the left side.

fiesta ? :p
                sigpic
                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                X