Gas Tank Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Problems

My Festiva ran out of gas the other day when the gas gauge said a little under a half tank. So i assumed that it was a bad sender or gauge, but after getting it to the gas station, and filling it up, it only took 6 gallons to fill the tank! I know these came with 10 gallon tanks, so i look under the car and the bottom of the gas tank is dented!
    I believe this is my problem, but i have no idea what to do about it. The tank is in good shape otherwise so i would rather not have to replace it. Is their anyway to pop the dents back out? or do i just need to get a new tank from the junkyard and replace it?

Depending on where the dent is, you might be able to remove the fuel pump and pop it back out through that hole. Be real careful not to make any sparks in the process though!

Comment

Would that be the access panel under the back seat?

I have a dent on both sides of the tank on the bottom. Any special care i need to take removing that panel? Other than the usual don't make sparks, light matches, ect when dealing with gas?

Is there a way to drain the gas out of the tank to make it easier to work on?

Comment

yes there is a plug on the bottom of the tank use a socket to remove it i would get a fuel cell or either a skid plate under yours if u change the tank so nothing can hit it i did this with my 88 and i made a circle opening where the bolt is with a circle rubber cap so can access the bolt for the tank o yeah when u reinstall the bolt use liquid tar on the end of the bolt towards the hex so u dont have a leak
        FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Working...
        X