X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnGunn
    replied
    Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
    My guess is a melted socket the bulb plugs into. with aspires you shouldn't go anything more than stock replacement bulbs or the wires heat up and melt the sockets. I had to fix them on my 95 I just bought, and on my other 95 I had back in the day.
    Are you saying we, including Festiva owners, should avoid moving up to those bulbs that are supposed to be 30% brighter? I ask because since I moved up to them in my '90 Festiva L, I have had several headlight relays go bad. I'm wondering if there is a higher current draw through them which shortens the lives of relays. The listed wattage of both types of bulbs is the same, 45/65 W.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Leave a comment:

• 1988redfordfestiva
    replied
    check the bulbs and pulls the wires nd check them then check your grounds around the engine bay i bet u have a ground somewhere in the front not getting a proper ground grab a good gauge wire and ground the battery to the car and have some one turn the lights on maybe that could be the issue

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    Well, napa had the part in stock. It doesn't show up on the computer, but they have a book of random relays, and it had one for ford 1989-1997 (part number AR374) that looked just like it. I plugged it in, and still have nothing. They come on bright if you pull the switch forward, as if flashing someone for their brights, but other than that, only a very dim light whether on brights or low beams. I don't think it could be a ground since jumping the relay plug makes them come on and the "flash" function works good. Any other ideas? I was sure it was the relay. Has anyone ever bought a relay that was already bad? They won't let me return it if defective, but I would like to know if it could be the problem. Thanks for the information guys!
    Last edited by doylerl; 04-28-2010, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1988redfordfestiva
    replied
    well i have no issues i know to many people and am trusted so yeah i just ask and i can get the part for free so yeah i can actually get it by askin and doin a favor in return to sometimes

Leave a comment:

• 92festie
    replied
    Originally posted by quaddawg View Post
    Did you really just advocate STEALING?????

Weak dude.. if it were my forum, you'd be banned for life....

Remind me to never trust you... if you would steal something small... the big stuff ain't far behind...

Dishonesty is dishonesty and a real mark on your character...

weak, just weak...
    I have to say that I do agree with you bro....stealing is wrong. I DO NOT CONDONE ANY KIND OF ACT OF THEFT!! but, when I'm at the local boneyard, I must admit, that I do very rarely, tend to sometimes, slip a few small things in my pocket. Only because that most jy's around here will literally charge you 5 bux a piece for a used fuse. I will also mention that, when/if I do end up slipping something SMALL in my pocket, I ALWAYS buy something that I can use. Weather its an intake manifold, spark plug wires, to a whole parts car. You're right...dishonesty is dishonesty. Call me hypocritical, I, DO NOT,what so ever, consider myself a thief. The way I see it, you can love me or hate me. So, being that said, I do apologize if i had offended anyone, or gave a wrong impression of my character, as I was part of that conversation.

Leave a comment:

• hofficergrover
    replied
    I bet that if you take the relay in and just match it up with another one at the advance you will be fine. I have people come in and can't get a relay and i go through all the ones i can find and match them up to one from some thing else and it work just as good.
    Or it maybe the same as another relay as the horn or some thing else on the car.
    Last edited by hofficergrover; 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• quaddawg
    replied
    Originally posted by pwgus
    junk yard dude, there small enough that you can probably even get it at a 5 finger discount if you have that kind of a coupon
    Did you really just advocate STEALING?????

Weak dude.. if it were my forum, you'd be banned for life....

Remind me to never trust you... if you would steal something small... the big stuff ain't far behind...

Dishonesty is dishonesty and a real mark on your character...

weak, just weak...

Leave a comment:

• 92festie
    replied
    yea all the jy's around here are free to get in and usually the good ones are a lil further

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    haha... Around here they follow you and watch you remove any and all parts, if they even let you touch the car. I even had one guy tell me I couldn't open the door, just look through the window.

Leave a comment:

• fastivaca
    replied
    Another thing to check for is bad grounds. I had an issue with one headlight where it would only come on very dim. I spliced in a wire to the black one in the headlight plug and ran it to the frame and problem solved. I'm guessing the Aspire is very similar to the Festiva in that regard.

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    Ford can't even order the part. I got the old part # from them, but it is unavailable! part #MDX52-67730

Leave a comment:

• 1988redfordfestiva
    replied
    take the old one off check for corrosion and clean thats your best bet it might be dirty if u need a relay i can get one for u if u'd like i have one some where in a pile in my garage

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    Originally posted by 1988redfordfestiva View Post
    its located under passanger side fender if i'm correct
    Yes, you are! Right under the air box. I believe it is the relay, because I can "jump" across 2 of the pins and get lights. Otherwise, they are just very dim. If you "flash" them, they work, they just don't stay on. NOW, my concern is WHERE do I find a replacement? I tried autozone, advance auto, pep boys, etc... but none of them can even order them? Is this a "dealer only" part like the stores say? If so, what would the dealers charge for such a part? I need it ASAP, but don't have a lot of $ at this moment, so if anyone knows of one from another vehicle that plugs in, or a certain place to get it cheap, please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Nerd Racing
    replied
    My guess is a melted socket the bulb plugs into. with aspires you shouldn't go anything more than stock replacement bulbs or the wires heat up and melt the sockets. I had to fix them on my 95 I just bought, and on my other 95 I had back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    FINALLY getting to work on it today. My mom had someone change the switch out, and that didn't help. She says they looked at the fuses under the hood as well, and supposedly they look good. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I am hoping it is something simple. BTW... what is the fuse under the hood labeled that goes to the headlights?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X