Another oil leak Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another oil leak Question

I have a 92 Festiva with 190K everything was going fine until my check engine light came on, I lifted the hood and everything was coated with oil mostly on the drivers side. I degreased the engine,replaced the valve cover gasket and the distributor O ring started it up and no leak.....until I drive it. I can let it sit an idle for an hour or rev the engine for ten minutes and not a drop but if I drive it for 3 miles it coats the engine.I also checked the pcv valve an it seems to be working good.I'm not getting any blow by through the dip stick tube either. Any suggestions?

rear main?
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

If its a rear main would it be sprayed all over the top of the motor?

Comment

head gasket perhaps....
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Check the tightness of your oil filter and/or if it has a pinhole in it. I think on my dad's a new purolator had a pin hole. It had oil all over as well and lost about 2 qts in 1k. I tightened when we put it on so I know it was tight enough and he checked it later it was still tight. He didn't visually check the filter but after he replaced the oil loss stopped. Now I have to figure out a way to test it and get after purolator if it was the cause. Always check the simple things first.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. It wound up being the pan gasket.I must have been leaking when driving and sloshing around,and some how being blown up to the top of the motor ??? I replaced it this morning and took it for a test drive ...All is well. So far Thanks again. Also to you pop who gave me the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
            X