Hub Nuts / Spindle Nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub Nuts / Spindle Nuts?

I am changing the wheel bearings on my 1990 L and didn't realize that the spindle nuts are the type that are peened on rather than the type with the cotter pin. i noticed that there is a hole for a cotter pin on the spindle so i know it can use this variety. However the local parts store (Advance Auto) only wants to sell me the ones you peen on (They are useless if you want something other than what is in the computer). I really want to have the other ones, as i am the type who has the wheels off several times a year and don't want to buy a new set of $6 a piece hub nuts each time. Could someone tell me where to get a set like that and perhaps a part number or vehicle interchange.

As a temporary measure get the crush nuts till we can find you a set of castellated ones.
    I believe, but do not know for a fact, that the aspire castellated nut set will work on the festiva.

Kartracer, do you want to add anything to this?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

How convenient! I was just wondering the same thing.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

not sure why you would replace the peen type every time you took them off. I have always reused them and have no issues. I have yet to have a Festy with the hole in the spindle for the castle nut.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I reuse them, not that I recommend it. Never had a problem so far.

When my '89L rear bearings went out on a trip years ago, the local shop couldn't find the stripped right side (crossthreaded by previous owner) crush nut anywhere, so they used a castle nut off an Aspire and drilled the hole themselves. So maybe your hole was "aftermarket?"

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Could be, but didn't look like it. Then again just because it looks good doesn't mean it wasn't a aftermarket job. I bought a new crush nut for now, i just don't like them. I am going to have to search around Napa auto parts website for a while and see if i can find a castle nut with the same thread.

Comment

please let us know what you find!!
              The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
              1988 LX ~sold~
              1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
              2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
              1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
              2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

I too have never replaced my crush nuts (LOL). The 92 L I picked up had brand new axles on it and they werent even staked but were holding just fine. Glad I noticed it before driving it, not that it ran when i bought it so it was gonna be found anyways.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

I'm going to the JY tomorrow, there's an aspire next to the festiva there. I'll check the Aspire spindles for castellated nuts and their threads.
                  John

91L 5-speed, RIP
                  89L 4-speed, teal/white
                  http://johnriederer.blogspot.com

Comment

Every Festiva and Aspire I have ever owned had crush nuts just so you are aware.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Yea i would feel much better about having a castle nut and cotter pin....don't trust the crush nuts. If we found that the aspires were castle nuts and were the same thread the fleet would all be getting replacements.
                      The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
                      1988 LX ~sold~
                      1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
                      2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
                      1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
                      2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

I had my emergency brake lock up on me and the car would not move. AFTER it cooled and I tapped on them got home, pulled down greased and sprayed cables,etc all ok, new pads only $14 AT AUTOZONE both sides. Never changed them but had to reuse crush nut, no hole for a cotter pin but would make me feel better if they did. So everyone just changes them to new, tap them down good?

Comment

Originally posted by scartigue View Post
                          I had my emergency brake lock up on me and the car would not move. AFTER it cooled and I tapped on them got home, pulled down greased and sprayed cables,etc all ok, new pads only $14 AT AUTOZONE both sides. Never changed them but had to reuse crush nut, no hole for a cotter pin but would make me feel better if they did. So everyone just changes them to new, tap them down good?
                          Yep haha that's what I did. Just make sure you don't over torque them. Then just ping them. I was a little worried myself the first time I did it (thinking maybe I did something wrong or something) It's been about 1,000 or so miles and still working fine. Phew!
                          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I like using Loc-tite (the non-permanent kind!) on the crush nuts as extra insurance.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                            X