Speedometer cable/gear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer cable/gear question

I'm getting a "new" cluster from a member here, this makes number 3 since I got the car. I was wondering if the cable is supposed to turn when I am in reverse. I noticed on both speedo's that are now broken that I could hear the cable, which is brand new, clicking when I would back up. The speedo's didn't last long. I took the cluster out and backed up with the drive cable hanging there, it turned backwards. Did some searching online and found that the speedo drive gear is supposed to "idle" and not spin in reverse on many cars, but not all. Does anyone know for sure? I just don't want to kill another cluster. I also cannot get the speedo gear out of the tranny, any trick there? Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right!

Thanks in advance,
    Donovan

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
    '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
    '68 Mustang Coupe
    '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

check the cable is might not be sitting right make sure when u install disconnect from speed box outside so u dont have this issue might cause binding and strip the the setup
    FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Wow, not a single punctuation mark or capital letter. Impressive! Whatsnextnospaces?

As for a serious reply, you did loosen the (I think) 10mm bolt next to the speedo gear housing, right? After that it should just pull out.
      John

91L 5-speed, RIP
      89L 4-speed, teal/white
      http://johnriederer.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jriederer View Post
        Wow, not a single punctuation mark or capital letter. Impressive! Whatsnextnospaces?

As for a serious reply, you did loosen the (I think) 10mm bolt next to the speedo gear housing, right? After that it should just pull out.

they get stuck some times, with mine, it takes a lot of turning back and forth as you pull up.. his might be the same

Comment

why pull the housing just unscrew the nut to the cable makes it easier for reinstall you can bind the cable that way

Comment

yeah, unscrew the bolt, remove cable etc.. but mine doesnt pull out, i have to turn it back and forth and pull up

Comment

Yeah, took out the 10mm bolt and nothing would move. It won't budge at all. I wanted to take it out to check the fluid level, and to make sure that everything functioned correctly in the speedo gear drive system. As I said, the cable is new. I replaced it when I bought the car as the previous owner cut the original one when it started making a noise. I made sure to lube the new cable upon replacement. Mainly curious about the reverse issue.

Thanks,
              Donovan

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

yeah most likely the noise could be the gear rubbing or going bad i replaced mine when i rebuilt the trans so yeah gear lube and it moves but working on the carb as my issues are gonna come to a halt once this is fixed i will be doing a write up on the vacuum lines for future reference for others

and newer stuff to come as well

Comment

Yes your speedometer gear and cable are supposed to turn backwards when you are reversing. What is going wrong with your clusters?

Comment

Ahh, so there goes that theory. They all start jumping, then die. One, can't remember which, started going all the way around. Then it quit moving at all. There is also the super obnoxious squeal from the cluster. Disconnected the cable from the cluster, and no squeal....was trying to see if I had an issue with the cable or the cluster. It currently has the sheath, but no cable. Cable is in a bag in the garage, I use the GPS for a speedo, but recently my temp gauge went, now my fuel gauge goes on vacation from time to time. Gonna test the electrical stuff when I get the cluster out, could have multiple issues all going on at once. I'm thinking it may be coincidental that the other clusters died within months of being put in.

Donovan
                    Last edited by edudu77; 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM.

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

Sounds like you need to pick up a cable from an Aspire. They are a tad bit longer and will not slip out of the back of your cluster. I am wondering if your "new cable" is giving you the problems? Have you put a drill on your cluster to see if it will spin up to speed??? That could save you a lot of hassle in purchasing new clusters when you might not need them. Good luck, Jeremiah.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

^good idea with the drill. Is your cluster harness ok? Sounds like an electrical issue with the fuel and temp acting funny.

Comment

Got the new cluster today and installed it earlier tonight. Everything works as it should, gauges and speedo...lights etc. Guess the issues were all in the old cluster. Hopefully this one will last. I made sure to lube the cable when I inserted it back into the sheath. Thanks for all the help, may try to get the gear out this weekend to see how it looks.

Donovan

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

Working...
                          X