Tightening observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tightening observations

After about two days of enjoying my new found B6 power, my new alternator belt began squealing.

My transaxle was leaking droplets of liquid. It only leaked after a freeway or other hot run. It dripped fluid in a square pattern. Hmmm...kind of pan shaped, so it was probably not the drain plug.

I was worried.

Today I jacked her up and began adjustments. When I had installed the new gasket on the tranny pan a month ago, I thought I had tightened them to torque specs, but when I checked, they were kind of loose. I took some different wrenches to get into the tight spots around the crossmember and began tightening the bolts. Hopefully these will stay tight and stop the leaking.

I loosened the bottom alternator pivot bolt and then went up top. I marked the present position of the top alt adjustment bolt on its rail and then loosened it. I discovered I really didn't need the prybar to help snug up the alt belt and tightened it back up after maybe 1/8" more distance.

Wow, that was easy. No more squeal now!

These here are just some words to remind beginners that you may have to do more than one day's work to truly finish your job. A new alt belt may have to be retightened after a few days, like bicycle brake cables do. (They stretch.)

Shop manual torque specs...hmmm...just don't know. At the time it did seem a bit wimpy of a tightening job...but I went by the book.

One really good thing: I'm getting comfy around these cars!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

keep in mind, Karl, that some gaskets 'relax', and need to be retorqued after heat cycling. I'm gonna guess the trans pan gasket was cork or asphalt paper? Both need to be retorqued, so it's not suprizing you had a leak there.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Did you check the loose nut between the headrest and the steering wheel? :idea:

Comment

So far so good. No leaks now, but I was only on the freeway for about five minutes.

I think it was asphalt paper. It wasn't cork.

Mech, the nut's fine. I retorqued it too.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
        X