No announcement yet.

random engine issue -cuts out once warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a thought here but what about the coolant temp sensor?
    My Festiva: 92 1.3L, 5 speed, No options (yet), and 173,000 mi on original engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LubeTechJared View Post
      just a thought here but what about the coolant temp sensor?
      if you mean the one on the thremostat housing, then i don't think that would cause the engine to die at random, and the one in the intake manifold next to the #2 injector, i think that gives you a CEL when it fails, not 100% on that one though

Comment

no not the one on the thermostat housing. that's for the hot cold guage i think. i'm talking about the one back by the injectors in the intake manifold. the reason i was thinkin that as a possibility is because the plugs were new you said. then as car warms up plugs show sign of a rich mixture. like maybe the comp ain't goin into a closed loop. it was just one idea to throw in to the ring. even though sputtering and dieing associated with an ECT usually happens when cold... and i don't know about it throwing a code with obd1 either. obd2 it definitely would.
        My Festiva: 92 1.3L, 5 speed, No options (yet), and 173,000 mi on original engine.

Comment

just finished hitch hiking home, car died completely, got it going a couple of times , ran rough, made it a little farther, then died and won't start, i was by my self so i could get someone to crank it over with a plug off to check for spark, but one things for sure, its not moving, my parts (new coil and dist.) have arrived in the mail also in town, i'll change those out once i can go get them and let you guys know what happens

Comment

OK, got the car home, it started later that day (of couse), i got my new distributor in the mail, an upon installing it, i noticed that all the wiring harness for it was baddly basterdized and had a lot of questionable connection leading me to believe that it was poor wiring that lead to the failure, so i soldered and re-heat shrinked the wired and she seem to be working fine now! hard to believe sombody had actually thought that wiring splice job was "good enough" the plug litterly fell of upon removing the distributor

Comment

Can you return the distributor if you find you don't need it?
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

well, i could, but i ordered it form the states, and i'd have to ship it back, and it was actually a sale item so i got it for like half prive (100 bucks canadian) so i think i'll keep it, i may check the old distributor and see if its still good to confirm that it was poor wiring that was the issue

Comment

Glad to hear you are back up and running! That is a good price for a distributor, as a module alone can easily be that much unless you find a good used one.

Michael
                  Have owned 9 so far
                  White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                  Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                  Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                  Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                  Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

now just out of curiosty, what is this part?

I had one of these and an extra EFI coil, but you got it up and running. Which I was much more glad to hear.
                    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                      now just out of curiosty, what is this part?

I had one of these and an extra EFI coil, but you got it up and running. Which I was much more glad to hear.
                      nevermind, it's an ignition module. Duh!
                      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
                      X