Weird Start-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Start-Up

Got in my car this morning to go to work. Turned the key, and it stumbled at first then it idled fine. Noticed the red battery light on. (alternator light) Let it run for a few seconds hoping it was stuck and would go out. It stayed on so I turned the car off. Tried to restart.
    NOTHING! Not even a click. Popped the hood, check alternator belt, checked battery terminals.Everything seems OK. Jiggled one of the fuse link wires ( I think it was the middle one, don't remember) maybe the yellow one, and closed the hood. I was about ready to call work and call out but decided to trying starting the car. It STARTED RIGHT UP!.Stopped for a coffee but left the car running. Turned on the radio but I had to reset all my stations and the clock. Drove to and from work with no problems.

I'm thinking fusible link. Am I right or could it be something else? If it is, I guess I should check and see if they need cleaning and or just replace them with block fuses.

Could use imput from the experts since I'm not very electrical at all. I don't even own a test light.

Thanks, Rich

I would also check your batter terminals and make sure they are tight and not corroded.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

It probably is the middle Fusible link, replace them with the cartiges. When the middle Fusible link goes bad it has the same symptoms. Mine did the samething, replaced the Fuses and haven't had a problem.
      '90 LX

Comment

Thanks for the help. I know the terminals are clean, I just cleaned them 2 weeks ago. I will recheck to make sure they are tight.

As far as the fuses, is it OK to just change the middle one, or should I change them all? If I change them all, what sizes do I need and which ones go where?

Thanks,Rich

Comment

Might as well change them all, most people use 30-40-30 amp left to right in that order.
          '90 LX

Comment

Thanks, If I don't have any problems I"ll do it this weekend. I need to by the longer ones , correct?

Rich

Comment

Yep, get the long ones.
              '90 LX

Comment

yes if you want them to fit right, the shorter ones will work, but they require a bit more finagling
                89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Will do, and thanks for your help.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X