Speedo Cable/Stalling - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Cable/Stalling - Need Help

I am new to the world of Festiva. I recently purchased an '89 L 4 speed with a few outstanding issues.

I purchased a new speedometer cable and when I went to change out the old one it wasn't there (for the most part). The only part that is left from the previous cable is what's sticking out of where it enters the tranny (I believe is the transaxle) and I can't seem to get it out. I've done a lot of reading on here and all over the internet and haven't found any answers for this. I've read there is suppose to be a 10mm bolt next to it, I see the spot for that bolt on mine but it isn't there. Anyone have an idea how to remove this? Do I need to take the whole speedometer gear off?

A new development since I purchased the Festivus is it now stalls when I'm not giving it gas directly, so while I'm coming to a stop at an intersection and put my foot on the clutch, it dies. I will be trouble shooting this myself but any suggestions would help. I plan to start with the small stuff like plugs and wires, distributor, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

To replace the cable, you don't necesarily need to remove the gear from the transmission. There is a nut type deal on the top that will unscrew off of the gear, and under there is a "keyway" that the speedo cable plugs in to. Make sure you lube your cable very well or it will be jumpy. Also, don't kink it. If your car has a tach cluster, it feeds up the passwnger side of the center column behind the speedo itself. If it only has the speedo cluster, it MUST be fed up through the column or it will become kinked and break on you.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure which nut you mean? I have attached a photo of an entire gear that I found online. Do you mean on the right side of the image? Is there a way to manipulate the keyway to get the old cable out? Or is it just pull and turn until it comes out?

Comment

the nut isnt pictured. the nut goes on the top of that gear, with the threads, see it? if your cable is partially there, but cut off, get some pliers and pull the cable straight up and it will come out. you dont have to remove the gear, or the small bolt on the right to replace a cable. if your new cable doesnt have the nut to screw on the threads on the top of the gear, youll have to find one, it hold the cable in place. and the cable just slides (one-way-only fit) into the place where the rest of the old one is.
        Last edited by MTec007; 04-28-2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

when taking it out rock the car back and forth to loosen the gear. I can usually twist the gear until the flange/tang/hangover is free and then pull up. If the speedo gear is in there, and tyhe threads on top look ok, then you might just need to get a new cable. it will just screw ontop of the gear.
          Last edited by Ogrestiva; 04-28-2010, 05:07 PM.
          89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

as for your other problem it might be a vac line or a carb problem, or your idle is set to low.
            89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

hope this helps

Comment

The new cable has the nut on it. I should have been more specific earlier, all that is left of the old one is the inside of the cable, the nut and outer portion were removed before I got to it.

I will try the rock back and forth method on my next attempt this weekend, sounds like it should work. Is the bolt to the right in the photo necessary? Should I be trying to find a replacement?

I got new plugs, wires, ordered the distributor cap and rotor to put on this weekend as well. The O ring on the distributor cap was bad (hanging out partially), that might have something to do with the stalling issue.

I will respond when I get it all put back together. Once again, thanks for all the responses.

Comment

as far as the bolt goes, i personally dont think its completely necessary, but the point is it was designed to have one there for one reason or another. personally (again) i have the bolt, but the threads the bolt goes into is stripped out.. i have not had an issue at all.
                  as far as the old one goes, just grab the old cable with pliers and pull up. you dont need to remove the gear except to check trans fluid
                  (if your checking it, and your low.. the recommended fluid to use per Ford is ATF, NOT gear oil, even though some people say they use it with no problems)

Comment

Working...
                  X