Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear brake parts list and what should i do????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake parts list and what should i do????

Today i was driving and was backing out and my rear wheel locked up.
    after a bit of forward reverse action it was fine but made some grinding noises.
    I asssumed the worse but having 2 parts cars oh well.
    took it apart and noticed that the pads on the shoes were laying on the floor so once again MY FAULT .
    shoulda put new ones in when i did the ever so easy front.
    so my question is ... seeing i had to remove the rear bearing to get at the brakes should i replace them or just put them in the parts washer and regrease them.
    car has 150 000 k .
    pads will be mid line napa stuff.

thanks

shayne

If the car hasn't had new rear wheel bearings put in for a while, I'd put in new ones while you're at it.

Then again, degrease your current bearings and examine them per the shop manual. If there's no appreciable wear or damage, why not re-use them?

One thing: what do you mean by "pads on the shoes?" I've heard of "brake pads" (for discs) and "brake shoes" (for drums), but never "pads on the shoes." Could you explain?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

How do you properly torque the spindle nut at the rear, after reinstalling the drum brake....Torque numbers? i cant find them in my manual

Thanks
      1st hybrid & running FE3 + GT3076R Turbo
      ...Carbon Kevlar Hood and Roof

Comment

Working...
      X