Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to ask how to properly break in a rebuilt engine. How should it be done? How l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to ask how to properly break in a rebuilt engine. How should it be done? How l

I want to ask how to properly break in a rebuilt engine. How should it be done? How long does it take?

Thanks
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Drive it like you stole it....lol.....j/k.

I am not sure but you will get some serious answers.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

google produces good answers

note: i didnt actually read the page in the second link

Comment

break it in as you would normally drive it. in my case , in the corner the whole time
        05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Comment

With the spark plugs out and igniton and fuel disabled, crank the engine over a couple of times. Once it's all back together take it to an area without traffic and accelerate from 30 to 50 MPH, then slow down to 30 MPH with the throttle closed and repeat 10-12 times. Drive around gently for the first 500 miles then change the oil and filter, then for the next couple hundred miles drive it normally without abuse but don't baby it, and after about 2000 miles change the oil and filter again and it's broken in.
          '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
            With the spark plugs out and igniton and fuel disabled, crank the engine over a couple of times. Once it's all back together take it to an area without traffic and accelerate from 30 to 50 MPH, then slow down to 30 MPH with the throttle closed and repeat 10-12 times. Drive around gently for the first 500 miles then change the oil and filter, then for the next couple hundred miles drive it normally without abuse but don't baby it, and after about 2000 miles change the oil and filter again and it's broken in.
            Sounds good. I would add, change the oil/filter after the first ten miles to get all the little metal parts out of the system.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Use dino 30w oil. Are you using new cams too?
              Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                This answer is straight out of the Haynes manual. I recently rebuilt my engine and I used this as a break in for mine, of course am still working on getting the 500 miles due to the fact I also needed to replace the half shafts which were done this weekend.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
                '12 Ford Focus

Comment

I've heard some really different procedures. Some say break it in like you are going to drive it.

Comment

I've heard to change the oil after 1000 KMS and at 5000 KMS and take it easy on the engine until the 5000 KM oils change

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

A friend of mine once said that so many people have so many different ideas about break in that it obviously doesn't matter a lot how it's done. All that I've ever done (not done?) was to not lug the engine, vary the throttle often and change the oil soon, like a couple hundred miles. My thought with the oil was if anything is coming off the bearings, etc. it would do it early and I want it out of there. I've never rebuilt a Festiva engine but I have motorcycle and truck engines with a lot of miles on them, in 25 plus years of not being back apart.

Comment

Working...
                      X