Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a sensor today.

Hello "getnpsi",

Thanks again for the reply, I just bought a Bosch universal sensor for $20.00, and I was able to locate a sensor on the exhaust manifold, I couldnt see any other sensor after the cat, my car is 92 L, I was able to attach a larger copy of my smog results, I was able to pass visual and functional inspection, But on my HC level at 1,888 rpm (15mph) my level was way above the limit, but at 2,968 (25mph) my HC levels was very minimal, but all other measurements failed in huge amount CO, and NO, may I please have your opinion on why I have very minimal HC levels at a higher rpm.
    I seriously consider and very much appreciate all of your advise,

Thanks a lot,
    Let

Comment

my smog results

CO2 (%) MEAS O2 (%) MEAS
      15mph 1,888 rpm = 13.80 0.48
      25mph 2,968 rpm = 14.14 0.22

HC (PPM)
      MAX GP MEAS
      15mph 1,888 rpm 147 322 232
      25mph 2,968 rpm 122 272 50

CO (%)
      MAX GP MEAS
      15mph 1,888 rpm 0.62 2.38 0.53
      25mph 2,968 rpm 0.54 2.28 0.34

NO (PPM) MAX GP MEAS
      15mph 1,888 rpm 889 2130 3781
      25mph 2,968 rpm 828 1930 2027

EMISSIOINS TEST: GROSS POLLUTER
      VISUAL INSPECTION: PASS
      FUNCTIONAL INSPECTION: PASS

Comment

I'm guessing, might be dirty valves not letting them seal at lower lift? Above 2000rpm the engine is running in its better range taking advantage of more timing advance and creating a better burn. I bet if he tested 15mph in 1st gear it would have had cleaner numbers.

The water thru the intake will clean combustion chambers (valve) the seafoam soaks the piston rings. I'd just get a cat replacement...
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Getting a new cat.

So now now Iam really to get a new cat, the cheapest quote that I can get was $250 installed, from a muffler shop, I'll save some more cash so I can get my festy fixed and registered..

Thanks again..
          Let

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. It started me thinking about my own California inspection coming up this August.

Since January 1, 2009 the cost of catalytic converters for use in California has more than doubled. In the days when you could get a direct fit replacement Festiva cat from AutoZone for around $90, with a life time warranty, I would wait until I got my notice before starting to think about getting my car ready for the inspection. Now I see the benefit of starting early to allow time for research and taking whatever actions will improve my chances of passing.

More to the point, in doing research I found a web site that should be required reading for all Festiva owners and "must" reading for all Festiva owners living in California. There is a good description of what causes each of the three tested gases to become elevated, be sure you look for that section and read it carefully.

Save up to 50% off California smog checks. Never pay full price again. Learn how to pass the smog test. Free government assistance programs and much more.

The more time you spend reading on this site the better, but a list of 7 tips is located on the following page. Don't miss reading that.

Worried about passing an emissions test? Go ahead and jump ahead to our 8 Emission Test Passing Tips but please do come back and read the rest. We can give you the best advice to help your chances of passing the emissions test, however none of the advice or tips we'll give you will help if proper and timely maintenance of your vehicle has not been practiced, and no one can promise otherwise.

Stimulated by this research, I have begun to formulate a list of actions I plan to take before my test in August.

1. I plan to get some CRC "Guaranteed to Pass" and take a bit of a road trip to run it through my engine while the engine is running hot. At the same time I plan to run the speed up a couple of time with the thought of blowing out whatever might possibly be lodged in the cat. I'll do this maybe a couple more times before the actual test.

2. My O2 sensor has been in the car for over two years and, since they only cost about $20, I'll probably invest that amount in the cause of increasing my chances of passing. The last one I bought was Bosch, but since I've had major problems with their plugs, I'll not go with them again. I'm thinking Denso. Anyone had experience with them?

3. I plan to call the test station to explain that I want to have my car inspected as soon as I arrive and ask them what day and time should I come to make that happen. I know they don't take appointments. I'll drive around for half an hour to make sure the engine is good and hot, before arriving for the test.

4. I plan to pump my tires up to 35 psi so that there will be minimal rolling resistance when the car is on the dynamometer.

5. I will choose the week before the test to change my oil.

6. I'm concerned by the fact that when the car is on the dynamometer the technician places a large fan in front of the car blowing into the grill. I would be surprised if they adjust the speed of that fan to the size of the engine they are testing, and, since having the engine and cat hot and remain so for the duration of the test is so critical, I think I'll call and ask if they can turn the fan down for my test since my engine is so small. I would imagine all that sort of thing is specified and that he will not do that. In that case I think I would consider blocking a part of the grill area of the car just before I drive into the test station to counteract the effect of a fan, capable of cooling a 4 liter engine, on my tiny 1.3 liter one.

I'm sure as the time approaches I'll come up with some other ideas, but if they all fail and I have to shell out $250 for a $100 cat, I'll not let it depress me. I remember when the smog in LA was so bad your eyes would burned and water and became red from driving on the Interstate. Avoiding that is worth a lot more than $250 to me. But even more important, I love my Festiva so much that keeping it running and legal is worth to me even more than that.

John Gunn
            Coronado, CA
            John Gunn
            Coronado, CA

Improving anything
            Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Finally passed smog!!

with new cat and oxygen sensors and a bottle of CRC guarenteed to pass, I passed it with flying colours, and now my NO levels are ZERO,, which use to be 3,721,,, Thanks guys for all the Help. now I will focus on the tapping / clicking noise the engine makes, probably HLA's hope you can help me with my next agenda, been searching on previous threads to avoid a moonsoon,, lol!!

I appreciate all of your help, and if you're anywhere near portland OR, can somebody rescue this festiva on craigslist.

Comment

Excellent!
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by letdtst99 View Post
                  Finally passed smog!!

... I passed it with flying colours, and now my NO levels are ZERO...

Nice!
                  Oscar

Comment

Working...
                  X