Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine light won't go off.

Hi All,

I've got a 96 Aspire. The engine light code reads "misfire". It runs fine, maybe its a computer problem, but try explaining that to DMV in AZ. I was thinking maybe changing the plugs, and/or plug wires. I've had it reset a couple of times. Then, right before inspection I disconnected the Batt Neg for awhile. DMV said "did you install a new battery"? I cleared the fault, but there wasn't enough info on the computer....
    1990 Festiva L
    1996 Aspire

Originally posted by zippypinhead View Post
    Hi All,

I've got a 96 Aspire. The engine light code reads "misfire". It runs fine, maybe its a computer problem, but try explaining that to DMV in AZ. I was thinking maybe changing the plugs, and/or plug wires. I've had it reset a couple of times. Then, right before inspection I disconnected the Batt Neg for awhile. DMV said "did you install a new battery"? I cleared the fault, but there wasn't enough info on the computer....
    tell them you were doing electrical work and disconnected the battery.

take it to autozone and have them scan it when the light is on.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

That is one great part about living in Indiana... they don't inspect anything! If you get pulled over and they suspect you are running without a cat. or something I believe they can request an inspection, but I have never heard of this happening. As far as your CEL I would say just do a typical tune-up... plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Even if there is nothing wrong with these, they are cheap enough that at least you know what you have without breaking the bank.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

report on the spicific code: P0300, P0301-304.... should be one of these. the P0300 is random multiple cyl misfire where the others are spicific to a single cyl.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
        X