'93 driver side door swap procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 driver side door swap procedure

OOPS: I should have posted this in REPAIR. Could somebody with the power to do so please move it? Thanks!

I'm getting psyched up to swap a driver door from a parts car to a replace damaged door (lock area damaged during breakin attempt) on an otherwise good car.

QUESTION: Should I unbolt the hinges on the chassis side or the door side? To unbolt on tOhe chassis side, it looks like I'll have to remove the left front fender to get at the bolt heads, whereas disconnecting on the door side of the hinges I wouldn't.

Seeking your collective thoughts on this matter ...

PS: I searched on "door replacement" and found nothing useful. Also, I'm in Seattle and left my Haines manual in Anchorage.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 05-16-2010, 10:25 PM. Reason: posted in wrong forum!
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Take out the hinge to car bolts. They are the easiest to get to. You can just get at them with a wrench. Have something sitting under the door to support the weight and you'll be good. Post up and let us know how it goes.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

If you have a set of metric gear wrenches and a 1/4 drive socket set you can get to the bolts by removing the wheel and just taking the inner fender out. It is a fairly easy task. Then as an assist on installing the new door you can use a paint stir stick as shims to hold the door while you get the bolts started. I use the latch as a pivot point and shims, since I usually am by myself. Hope this helps.
      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
      X