idle becomes irratic then stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle becomes irratic then stalls

1989 festiva L w/carb. When car sits for a while, it will start up and run like a top for 30 seconds, then it becomes increasingly irratic til it stalls. Start it up right after that and it is still irratic and stalls. Let it set for 15 minutes and it starts and runs smooth for 30 seconds. Throttle body lose and leaking so replaced w/ a junkyard carb. Also sprayed ether around the intake manifold and the idle smoothed out until the ether was gone. Removed intake manifold and checked w/ straight edge and replaced gasket. Still won't idle for long. Sugestions?

still have a vac leak somewhere, check with carb clean. also verify that there's fuel in the bowl and the pump is flowing properly.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanx, Festy, I'll try and find a carb rebuild kit, and check fuel pump. I agree there is still a leak somewhere??

Comment

I had a festy carb that did this, the throttle shaft was so worn it was crazy.

The bad side is that there are no more carb rebuilders around here that can fix the problem. Sent one out to a "said to be awesome" machine shop, they sent back a shaft that was trashed and leaked worse than originally.

To properly fix a throttle chaft you need some special tools that are hard to find.
        Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
        1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Addict: You're right, my mechanic gave up, and most places don't want to fool with it. I'll keep looking for a machine shop that might take it on after I check the pump, look for more leaks and rebuild the carb myself.

Comment

Also don't discount a problem with the spacer plate that has the preheat. They are bad about developing cracks also.
            I DO agree about the shafts though. Carbs are not repaired in a rebuild for the most part, and wear is usually a big part of most problems. I try to keep a "Known Good" carb around to eliminate it as the problem because of this.

Michael
            Have owned 9 so far
            White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
            Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
            Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
            Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
            X