Problems with replacement ignition rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with replacement ignition rotors

Has anyone had any issues finding replacement rotors for a B3 distributors? I've tried three different brands so far and they have all been extremely ill fitting. By that I mean that they are loose (I can turn the rotor about 10°) and will go on anyone of three ways! The rotor that needs replacing only goes on one way and has no free play to speak of.

The reason I need to replace the cap and rotor is that it appears that the spark has been arcing from the top surface of the rotor rather than the end.

I've picked up a "set" of cap and rotor assuming they will be matched up a little better and also solve the poor fit issue I described.

I'll be looking at this tomorrow and will report back!

Cheers
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

all the rotors go on 3 different ways....only will work in the right position though....at least all the years I have owned Festy's they have always went on that way.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have the auto zone brand in my car.. Duralast and i haven't had any issues at all...Did u check your wires with an ohm volt meter check the wires in ohms if no ohms u have a bad wire try it out ...
      FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Take some sand paper to the end of the rotor in your car and clean up all the carbon and corrosion on the end of it. Dont get too aggresive just until you see nice clean shiny metal underneath it and you should be good to limp on that one until you find a suitable replacement.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

^^^
          Yeah, 600 grit works well or could use wife/GF nail file.
          Also check the cap contacts, they corrode from the arc as well.
          Usually clean both when I change the oil.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

What brands have you tried so far?
            OE Mitsubishi WERE nice, but the Wells brand worked well that McParts had. I liked the caps because they had the screws captured so you could not drop one. The only rotors I have had that did not fit properly were ones that were wrong! Advance tried to pawn an incorrect one on me a few years back. I still have two from that fiasco, but they fit a SMALLER shaft.

HTH
            Michael
            Have owned 9 so far
            White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
            Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
            Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
            Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

I have had good luck with bosch. The rotor will go on three ways, but the way that is correct has a little wider flat on the shaft in the direction that the rotor points-if I recall correctly.
              186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
              1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
              1992 aqua L (agua)
              1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

i had issues with ones from autozone for my b6t, i think we had to get one from napa to fit

Comment

Working...
                X