B3 Overhaul starts today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 Overhaul starts today!

I finally put the Blue Festiva on jackstands and, after many adventures and 17 bottles of Coca-Cola, got the engine out!

I was surprised at how easy it was to do. Putting it back in should be even more fun...

Turns out the engine leaked oils not only at the head but also at the crankshaft seal, a fact I verified today after pulling the transmission off.

Clutch looks very good for having 206K on it - still very meaty with a little wear; the mechanics didn't believe me when I told them it was original and how many miles was on it!

Someone attempted (and failed) a conversion of the A/C to R-134a. All the "conversion" was was the addition of R-134a connectors over the R-12 ones. Is it possible to salvage the rubber hoses and/or compressor? The system had almost zero pressure in it when I discharged the Freon.

I noticed a problem with the Harmonic Balancer: It's come off its "spokes" and is just hanging limply on the CV axle. I didn't notice any strange noises when I drove the car to the mechanic's, so should I just leave the H.B. alone or is it in my best interests to reattach it?

Are the ball joints on the steering rack/tie rod connection supposed to have rubber boots over them? This car doesn't have them.

More questions/updates to come as the overhaul progresses.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

I put on my new right side CV without the doughnut and I can't tell the difference. I don't even have an alignment yet! No tire wobble at all at any speed.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

i dunno if it does anything...the one on my aspire wast torn off the axle when i got it. never noticed any problem.
      Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
      1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
      1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
      2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

As for the second part of your question, Yes the ball joints and tie rod ends are supposed to have rubber boots on them. Your local Auto Zone should have them in a universal replacement type made by Energy Suspension. At least the one here does
        Paul
        91GL
        Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

If I was going to get the A/C in working order I'd "reconvert" back to R-12 ,, change the compressor and dryer after performing a really good flush ,, the "conversion" kits sold in auto parts stores are terrible. If you don't have A/C expertise and tools I'd leave it broken ,, most A/C shops will just look at you as a cash cow.

Comment

Thanks! I'll probably glue the H.B. on or just leave it hanging; depends on my mood after the overhaul.

I'm doing this overhaul on a VERY tight budget and only want to replace what needs replacing.

I pulled the clutch off. The throwout bearing and pressure plate look perfect. However, the clutch itself shows some wear, as to be expected after 206K and 17 years.

I'm getting conflicting opinions on what to do with the clutch. It doesn't slip and looks very meaty still. Some people at the garage say replace it while the car's apart, others say leave it alone b/c it looks fine.

I'm swaying toward getting the flywheel resurfaced and just reusing the clutch. Money's tight right now and I don't have $100 to spend unless absolutely necessary.

I was going to rebuild the carb, but was advised not to mess with it; instead to just clean the carb out and dump a bunch of carb cleaner down it. Does that sound like sound advice?

I put several very tiny, hairline thickness/length scratches in the intake manifold scraping the gasket off. None are very long or deep; do I need to worry about them?

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
            X