Tail lights not working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail lights not working...

Has anyone ever had any problems with thier tail lights not woprking??

I recently did alot of work over the winter fixing up under the hood, and now my tailights dont work...

The brake lights and turn signals work but the running lights and dash lights dont..

If i jump 12 volts to where the fuse is, they turn on...

The only thing ahead of the fuse is the relay and the switch its self, does anyone knnow which relay controls the tail lights? I believe its the one beside the head light relay, just want to make sure...

If so i check the relay and the relay its self was ok.. anyone know any other tests I can do to narrow the issue down?? I didnt think it would be the switch due to the fact the headlights still turn on...

I am completely frustrated and dont feel like pulling everything off the column to change the switch if it isnt the problem...

Any help would be great! thanks.
    1990 Festiva
    - 5 spd. swap
    - B6 SOHC swap
    - Custom Interior
    **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

I think the parking lamp relay is located on the passenger side front behind the head lamp and under the VAC. This is based on searching threads and google as I've never had the problem myself. G'luck to ya
    Jeremy.S
    1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
    1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
    1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

what year is your festy try messing with your fuse links in front on the left next to the battery hopefully u don't have the wires still
      FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Originally posted by canadianfestiva View Post
        If so i check the relay and the relay its self was ok.. anyone know any other tests I can do to narrow the issue down?? I didnt think it would be the switch due to the fact the headlights still turn on...
        The relay is located on the passenger side of the engine behind the headlight.

I tend to agree that the relay is the most likely suspect. Unlike the headlights, the parking lights are controlled only by the switch in the end of the light stalk. There are two positions that cause it to turn on, parking light position as well as the headlight position.

You should be able to test the switch without removing it. There should be two white wires to the relay that should deliver 12V at all times, even without the ignition switch turned on. For this reason, I would recommend you disconnect the battery negative terminal before unplugging the relay. The red/yellow wire goes to the switch and with a meter on that wire in the connector you should be able to see if the switch takes that wire to ground. That is all the switch does. Since the headlights work, you know that the switch has a good connection to ground. If the switch doesn't ground the red/yellow wire, then the switch must be bad.

If it turns out to be the relay, or the switch for that matter, you should ask why the parts might be failing. This is not a common problem on Festivas. Check the charging voltage of the alternator while the engine is running. It should be 14.1 to 14.7 volts at all rpm. Has your battery boiled over lately? I lost a couple of headlight relays before I realized my alternator was putting out too much voltage.

John Gunn
        Coronado, CA
        John Gunn
        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

I was testing the wrong relay, looked where ogrekhon said and realised there was no relay plugged in lol OOPs, Its ok now thanks
          1990 Festiva
          - 5 spd. swap
          - B6 SOHC swap
          - Custom Interior
          **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

Comment

Working...
          X