Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Idle/Throttle/Drive Issue

Hey all,

I'll say right out for Monsoon's sake that I have yet to search for solutions to this problem... because I'm not exactly sure what it is that is wrong or how I go about fixing it. That said, here's what I thought would be the easy way to document this.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That video above will tell you most of what I've seen happening and what I know. The car seems to be only partially receiving throttle inputs, and it seems to almost drop RPM when I put my foot down a little bit. With enough pedal to the metal, it does rev up fine past 4000RPM. To drive it back home (I was just down the street) I had to stay above 3000RPM or so with a fairly high throttle percentage in first.

Thanks in advance! This video will also partially show you how a 6'11" driver fits into a Festiva haha. Cheers,

Aaron
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

White smoke is usually antifreeze burning. Compression check the cylinders, I'll bet one or more is low. I'd check the head gasket.
    John

91L 5-speed, RIP
    89L 4-speed, teal/white
    http://johnriederer.blogspot.com

Comment

sounds like head gasket to me too... compression check it and that will give you your answer...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

LOL turns it out it was an engine bay cleaning gone wrong. Scott (leapin) came to visit after it started working normally again and told me that the electronics on this car are notorious for throwing the car out of wack if they aren't covered. My Mitsubishi background has been that electrical components are fine and dandy uncovered, so my mistake haha. It's a good lesson for anyone else looking to wash their bay! Thanks for your help though guys!

It does explain the jittery nature as well as the radiator smoke. Trying to figure out where the exhaust white smoke came from though...
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Cleaning solution in the intake/air cleaner? Water/soap would throw off the air/fuel mix, and probably burn white as well.
          John

91L 5-speed, RIP
          89L 4-speed, teal/white
          http://johnriederer.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X