Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a/c conversion to 134,(88festyLX carbed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c conversion to 134,(88festyLX carbed)

Can anyone tell me if there is a kit available to convert the a/c over to the current freon? I need to know what all to replace as it has not been used in over 6 years. I understand that the whole system has to be flushed and several items need replacing. Does anyone know where to find the help? I took the car to an a/c shop and they were going to charge me $385.00. the compressor is in fine shape. Can anyone help me out with the info?

thanks
    jokoza57
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his
    only begotten son, that whosoever believes in
    him should not parish, but have everlasting life."

$385 seems like alot, when I was qouteting the conversion for my Mom's car they said it would be about $200. I went to Autozone and bought the conversion kit for $50 and did it myself. The kit comes with the High and Low fittings, a hose, and 3 cans of stop leak freon. Since the system was already empty I just filled it up with the R-134. Some people say you have to change the compressor oil but I didn't. And the A/C has been working great on the car.
    '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
      $385 seems like alot, when I was qouteting the conversion for my Mom's car they said it would be about $200. I went to Autozone and bought the conversion kit for $50 and did it myself. The kit comes with the High and Low fittings, a hose, and 3 cans of stop leak freon. Since the system was already empty I just filled it up with the R-134. Some people say you have to change the compressor oil but I didn't. And the A/C has been working great on the car.
      Yup...did the same thing, got a refill kit and just charged mine up. Did not know if it was even a working system at the time....I have been driving in comfort since I filled it....no issues.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Technically, the oil in the R12 system, used to lube the compressor is not 134A compatible.
        So it needs to be purged out.
        Replacement of the drier is also recommended.
        This requires a vacuum pump, something most people do not have access to.
        Then a compatible lube oil and 134A can be used to refill the system.
        I could see where this might get expensive!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          Technically, the oil in the R12 system, used to lube the compressor is not 134A compatible.

That is the correct way to do it, some get lucky doing just the fittings and charge. You have a 50/50 chance of it not working and cooking a compressor. I usually at the least recommend a recovery and flush. I have a vacuum pump and manifold set so I can take mine to -10 for a good charge. Do with what ever you can afford that works.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Thanks guys for the help
            "For God so loved the world that he gave his
            only begotten son, that whosoever believes in
            him should not parish, but have everlasting life."

Comment

just dont purge the current r12 into the air
              91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                But also a lot of the new oils that come with 134a recharge kits are compatible with the R12 system

Comment

A lot of people who have the equipment are happy to take your r12 and purge your system for free...especially unemployed/disabled mechanics who have 30k of tools sitting there doing nothing. Craigslist searching should find something. even a regular a/c shop may do it free
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I had a shop do mine. The system was empty when I drove it in because I had already pulled a vacuum on it and it held.

They put on the new fittings, flushed the old oil out, blew it out. Then they charged it with some dye in the system. Free check a week later.

Charged me a $100. That was last summer and so far, it's still working good this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X