Festy just died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy just died

Cruising home from my dads after replacing the water pump. All's good, it feels better after resetting the timing. All of a sudden there's no power, like you turn off the ignition. No sputtering or anything.

There's spark, and I jumpered the pump on. All fuses good. It just cranks away.

Sitting on the side of the road waiting for my dad to get here with tow strap.
    Last edited by bhazard; 06-01-2010, 10:22 PM.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

if it starts back up like nothing happened in about an hour, we got the same problem.
    it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

make sure your timing belt didnt snap
      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Belts fine I think. It doesn't have that no compression sound when cranking.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I would start by making sure all the electrical connections in the areas where I was working are tight and connected. I have bumped them and had one come loose in the past. It is the easy and cheap place to start.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Yeah, Ima get started now that its not midnight on the side of US20...

I kinda suspect the main relay. I got EVERYTHING wet yesterday flushing the cooling system and all...
            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Just pulled the main relay.... it had a bunch of brown liquid resembling dirty cooling system water in it. Cleaned it out real good and lubed it up with silicone spray. It seems to work but it didnt fix the car...
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

just hearing you say "it doesnt sound like it has compression when it starts" really really really sounds like a timing belt.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                  just hearing you say "it doesnt sound like it has compression when it starts" really really really sounds like a timing belt.

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  Belts fine I think. It doesn't have that no compression sound when cranking.
                  he says it does not have the "no comression" sound, not that it does have that sound

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  Yeah, Ima get started now that its not midnight on the side of US20...

I kinda suspect the main relay. I got EVERYTHING wet yesterday flushing the cooling system and all...
                  i dont know what would happen, but did the disty get wet too? i hear thats a bad thing
                  Last edited by MTec007; 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                    I said it DOESNT have that sound. Belts fine, just got the timing perfect.

It isnt ignition, it ran when I put fuel straight into the intake. Something is causing the injectors to not fire.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Got fuel to the rail? No chance you got enough moisture in the electricals for the injectors to kick the fuel pump inertia switch in the back?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Pumps running, fuels going to the rail. HOWEVER I am not getting voltage at the injectors with key on. HMMM
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Better snap Ab's BP in there then. Haha
                          -Donny
                          -1992 Festiva GL
                          B6D/E-series.
                          -1991 GL
                          BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

injectors get power on the yellow/black wire, which comes directly from the main relay. Better check it again.
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Its clicking on and off, I guess that doesnt mean it has to be making a connection. You so smawt mister red hot meats!

Anyone know who sells the main relays for the capris? Im not finding it anywhere.

Edit: It IS in fact the main relay. Whats strange is the side thats all old and corroded looking is energizing fine, and the side thats all clean is not.

Jim, youre a walking factory service manual!
                              Last edited by bhazard; 06-02-2010, 02:10 PM.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                              X