Evaporator housing and coil service for ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaporator housing and coil service for ac

I started going through my ac system on my 88L. So I figured I would document the work along the way for some of those with ac questions to follow.

This is the Evaporator Housing located under the dash and behind the glove box. It is connected to the fresh air vent in the cowl and to the heater box with a metal collar.

The first picture is the heater side of the housing and you can see the coil doesn't see a lot of abuse on this side.

The second picture is of the vent side of the housing where the fresh air comes in through the cowl and vent damper. As you can see this side of the coil see's the blunt of the abuse of time with dust and debris.

The third picture is of the firewall side of the housing where the lines attach under the hood at the firewall.

The fourth picture is of the coil, to remove the coil there are several small clips that hold the upper and lower sections of the housing together. simply remove those and pull the top section of the housing off. The only other thing is that the capillary tube for the TXV has to be gently pulled out of the fins in the coil. Then you can lift the coil out of the housing. Note: be careful not to damage or flatten any of the fins on the coil. If they do get crushed a bit be sure to straighten them back out gently before re-installing the coil. This coil was seveerly clogged. I just use a dollar store can of oven cleaner and soak them good for about 5 mins or so. Then wash out good with a garden hose. Just don't spray to hard on the fins to cause damage.

The next couple pictures are of the coil and TXV after cleaning and installing new o-rings. FYI the piece on the bottom of the housing with the two electrical connections and the long sensing tube is the thermostat. The Housing is now ready for installation.

So now I can move on to pressure testing the compressor and condensor coil. Iwill post more updates as I progress.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Wow that was clogged, bet it will work a lot better now !!
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
      Wow that was clogged, bet it will work a lot better now !!
      Yea, the one section that was missing was a piece I pealed off, it all started by trying to figure out why my vent wasn't working. I figured I may as well evacuate what was left of the r-12 and go ahead and retrofit the system with 134-a. So I replaced the TXV and seals in the evaporator section and today I got the compressor pressure tested for external leaks and the clutch checked out so all that's good. Tomorrow my other parts should be here to get it all back together. I ordered a new seal kit to be certain I have enough o-rings, a new receiver/dryer, retrofit kit for the ports, and a pressure switch because one of the prongs was broken off. And I also picked up a new belt and pulley because mine looked ragged. So it should blow nice and chilly here in a day or so.
      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

kartracer,
        I'm curious.
        Did the A/C blow cold?

Comment

Working...
        X