2000 Ford Focus problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Ford Focus problem

As the title states, I have a 2000 Focus that I am having issues with. First, it died completely about a week ago. No power whatsoever... We had the battery tested, and it failed, so we replaced it. Problem solved... or so we thought. Same problem today... kinda. I got a voltage meter on it today and it tests at 11.65 Volts with key off. It has 10.3 Volts while cranking. When I say "cranking" I mean turning the key, but all I get under the hood is clicking. It will start and run with jumper cables hooked up, but dies shortly after unhooking them. It leads me to believe alternator failure, but the battery is charged up sufficiently (IMO), and no battery warning light appears on the dash. I have no warning lights or dummy lights (CEL). With a brand new battery running just under 12V with key off, it should have plenty of power correct? Could this be a computer malfunction? Any help is appreciated. I just don't want to spend money I don't have on something I don't need. Thanks.

Forgot to mention:
    After it died for the second time, it was running like crap but still running, but all the gauges went out... right before dying completely again... ?
    Last edited by doylerl; 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Did you check the voltage while running?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Did you check the voltage while running?
      No, it is getting dark and raining right now, I will check tomorrow and get back to you on that.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

If you can, take it to Autozone, they can test the altenator and charging system while it's still in the car.
        Last edited by wybnrml; 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM.
        '90 LX

Comment

my vote is the blue oval on the front.

LOL! Sounds like a voltage regulator to me. Should be in the Alt. on that car.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

early Foci (2000-2002) had problems with the positive battery cable. The cable would corrode inside the clamp. DO NOT try to replace just the clamp! I've seen at least 3 minor fires as a result. The cable is the problem, not the clamp, so replacing the clamp doesn't fix the problem. Replace the cable.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

minimum battery open circuit voltage (OCV) should be 12.5v, key off. Any less than that is discharged. PCM will shut down the alt if the load is too high for the alt to safely handle, and this includes a discharged battery. 12.00v is considered to be a dead battery, 0% charge. 11.65v tells me that the positive cable has excessive resistance, and the battery is not charging properly while the engine is running. Recharge the battery with a charger (no vehicle charging system is designed to recharge a dead battery), pelace the pos cable, and try again.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

ROFLMAO!!!! Now..that is just WRONG!

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                my vote is the blue oval on the front.

LOL! Sounds like a voltage regulator to me. Should be in the Alt. on that car.

Comment

Working...
                X