RPMs and shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPMs and shifting

Hey guys...a couple new questions (can't let you guys have any down time..i don't want anyone spoiled).

First...when i first got my car, the stock shift light worked. Now it doesn't.

Second, i don't have a factory tach but i'm toying with the idea of putting a spare Autometer in it except i think it's pretty silly to have a 5 inch 10k RPM tach in a Festiva lol. So..if i do, i'm curious what the factory shift points where for a stock 4 speed? Or put it this way, if i'm shooting for good MPG what are the best shift points? Right now i go by speed and just the sound of the engine (which for me is a little tough to gauge since i'm used to driving 302s). I shift 1-2 at 15-20mph, 2-3 at 25-30 and into 4th at about 40 depending on if i'm going highway speeds or just cruising...around here 45 is a very common speed. What could be the cause of my stock shift light not working now? Are they reliable?

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Not sure about your shift light (my non-tach cluster didnt have one or it didnt work).

But yeah I would skip on the monster tach too, hate those things. Especially since you redline at 6k.

As for shift points, try to keep the rpms as low as possible without lugging. My b3 loved low rpms. Theres no way you need to run out to 20mph in 1st. Thats just a waste of gas. Shift to 2nd by 10mph, 3rd by 20-25, and 4th by 35. No reason to wind it out if your just driving. More throttle at lower rpm is more efficient than higher rpm with less throttle. And the quicker you get to cruise the better, to an extent, that doesnt mean wind it out.

My B6t has so much torque for such a light car that I can be in 5th by 25mph and easily get to 55. Im starting to skip gears now because its pointless to row thru all 5 gears and shift every 5mph.
    Last edited by bhazard; 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Not sure about your shift light (my non-tach cluster didnt have one or it didnt work).
      Only '88 and '89 non-tach clusters had them.

My Festiva owners manual has the shifting points listed in it but it is for a '90 so it is for a 5 speed, so if someone has a pre '90 owners manual they should have it.

But here it is for a 5 speed.
      When Accelerating Normally
      1st to 2nd 9mph
      2nd to 3rd 21mph
      3rd to 4th 33 mph
      4th to 5th 45mph

Cruising Speed
      1st to 2nd 9mph
      2nd to 3rd 18mph
      3rd to 4th 29mph
      4th to 5th 40mph
      '90 LX

Comment

4 speeds and 5 speeds have identical ratios so just cross out the last line and theres your ford recommended shift points.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Wow man 9mph that's barely moving at all. Almost seems like a better idea to just start out in 2nd. Like i was saying i don't really know what these engines sound like wound out so i wasn't sure if 20mph in 1st was up there in RPM or what. How many RPM would you guys guess that to be with 12 inch tires?

Comment

what would be a good shift speed for a bp swapped engine with a 4speed?
            Parker

Comment

did you check to replace the bulb? it's a 168 and an easy fix...
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I was thinking it's either the bulb or the sensor

I shift pretty much (and these are NOT exact even with the ranges I gave):
                1st to 2nd: 9-10
                2nd to 3rd: 15-17
                3rd to 4th: 23-27
                4th to 5th: 29-35

unless I'm getting spirited
                Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Haven't checked the bulb but i will...what about the sensor? Where is it, how much etc etc?

Comment

ohhh...I think that sensor is behind the tranny sort of where the speedo sensor goes in but lower. better seen from under the car. Sometimes one wire will corrode or something. That's what happened to my reverse light sensor.

IIRC it looks just like the reverse light sensor but they function in complete opposite ways. cost? idk...check advance or auto zone and see if they have any on their site and price, etc.
                    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

hahaha... with my b3 with the fetivamotorsport headers 1st-2nd 30 2nd-3rd 52 3rd-4th 75 4th-5th????? lol all at around 5600 rpm lol am i pushin her to hard???? lol
                      1990 silver L plus 80k 5spd fms headers W.A.I.

Comment

^ nah brian used to wait till 7k+ to shift the carby car.

I wind my b3 w/ header up that far all the time.
                        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Yay... 60 screaming horsies.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

^hahaha
                            1990 silver L plus 80k 5spd fms headers W.A.I.

Comment

Working...
                            X