Leak Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak Questions

I was under my car removing the alternator to have it checked (charging system issues...)
    Anyway, I noticed the transmission was wet and kind of clean.
    It appears to be leaking transmission fluid from several places.

Is it tranny fluid? How bad is the leak if so? What would be required to fix it?

Also, what is this sensor? It's covered in oil.
    It's on the rear of the engine below the intake manifold and just above the oil filter.
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

thats really clean, are you sure its not leaking gas? any way if it is tranny fluid, it may be half shaft seals since it seems to be flinging fluid every where. make sure you check the fluid level, can be done by removing the speedometer cable and gear. the gear has a level marker on it, looks a little bit like someone pointing an index finger, and the finger next to it is folded at the knuckle.. once you get in there you will see it.. thats the only way to tell how bad the leak is

and the sensor is oil sending unit
    Last edited by MTec007; 06-14-2010, 06:56 PM.

Comment

It could be gas, but I never smell gas up front, only in the back and in the cabin with the window down right after a fill-up.
      ~Austin
      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Thats tranny fluid, it's not that hard to change the seals, also check the speedometer gear O-ring.
        '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
          Thats tranny fluid, it's not that hard to change the seals, also check the speedometer gear O-ring.
          your right, couple drops near the tranny drain plug.. other than that its hard for me to see good enough to tell. also check the drain plug for tightness and if it has a seal or gasket, make sure its good too. a while back my drain plug was loose just a few hairs and it was leaking, but i cant see it causing that big of a mess, could be wrong thought, im not perfect
          Last edited by MTec007; 06-14-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X