engine light on with gas pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine light on with gas pedal

ok so I got my 91 festiva (auto) back... bring you up to date here.
    1 - head gasket
    1 - valve cover gasket
    1 - distributor seal
    1 - camshaft seal
    1 - crankshaft seal (belt side)

ok so the mechanic did one and then found another leak and so on until he was fed up and did them all. 260 bucks later including labour and I was driving home then this happens...

Hit the gas pedal and the engine light goes on... car SLOWLY goes to about 30km/h then no matter how much the pedal is pressed it still doesn't go above 30km/h

now if you pump the pedal you can somehow get it to come to 60km/h. When I say pump I mean hammer the pedal about 5 times a sec. Eventually whatever the heck was wrong with it works itself out and zoom it runs fine for awhile.

Anybody have a clue as to what I'm experiencing cause I'm stumped and the mechanic is ready to throw a match on it.
    I know I know... pull over

Have you checked your ignition timing?
    GT

Comment

Ignition timing? we just did a complete seal rebuild... I think my mechanic knows enough to check the timing. It's not the timing...

I think it has something to do with the vacuum hose that is on the very top of the throttle body... it leads to somewhere on the tranny.

Comment

have him check the TP sensor wiring. Sounds like its not seeing the 'off idle' signal.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

ok and just curious.... whats the tp sensor

Comment

throttle position...
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

well I decided to disconnect the TP sensor which actually smoothed the shifting and then I have put 94 octane in the gas tank with some STP fuel injector cleaner and the problem is gone.

Comment

Working...
              X