Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aspire drivers side front brake locking???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire drivers side front brake locking???

Hey, My front brake drivers side keeps locking up. I have bleed the whole system 3 time and put new brakes on 2 weeks ago. Also my brake pedal does does not start working until it is pressed in about 3-4 inches. Does
    anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Please reply asap! Thanks, Scott

I suspect you have a caliper malfunction. Batstiva's right front got like that once. The piston would not always retract when you let off the brake. Because it would not retract correctly, it would grab a lot harder than the left side when I hit the brakes. Do you happen to have a spare festy you could rob one from just to find out for sure. If you've bled the system correctly, and I am assuming you have no visible leakage, that kind of leaves the caliper as the culprit. Anyone else?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Bat, he has an Aspire, don't think Aspire and Festiva calipers are interchangeable.

FWIW, I had the same problem.
      Replaced the caliper, used the same pads, fix it right up!
      Still not certain that explains the having to press the brake pedal in so far before it engages.
      Could be pending Mater cylinder failure.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Master cylinder was my first thought as well, but the caliper would be the culprit if it's still engaged after you let off the brake.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Probably caliper; corrosion in one or both of the slider bores (which let the caliper slide in and out, in relation to the rotor). Either run a wire brush thru the slider bores, or replace the caliper.
          Last edited by TominMO; 06-27-2010, 08:20 AM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            Bat, he has an Aspire, don't think Aspire and Festiva calipers are interchangeable.
            Doh!! :tard:
            Tho, my diagnosis remains unchanged. Just might not want to swap the aspire caliper for a festy one. :roll:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

The caliper is not retracting, but even tho thats the side that locks up the brakes dont seem to be grabbing the rotor?..also what would explain why the brake pedal wont start working until it is almost to the floor?..sorry with all the questions its really confusing me.

Comment

Fix the caliper.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Hey,

Another likely culprit is the rubber line . These lines use a double wall setup , and in some cases the inner wall fails allowing fluid to push past. This causes the outer wall to pinch the inner closed. When pushing the brake pedal there is enough pressure to get past and close or partially close the caliper however the fluid can't return. This leaves the caliper clamped down on the rotor sometimes, others it just doesn't fully release.
                  Jeremy.S
                  1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
                  1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
                  1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

Although this may not completely fix the problem you may need to consider a little pb blaster for external acc. and some high temp moly lube for internal caliper/cylander push.
                    oftentimes the hidden grime will buildup and seize the parts.
                    Last edited by Mctiva; 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM. Reason: misspell
                    91' Festiva GL <AKA> "Little Boy Blue"
                    --------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X