help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!

so i was finishing my car , and i did the tune up, but i guess i put to much motor oil, now its smoking allot, i did the cone filter swap thingy, ( sound like turbo)=). but seens i put so much oil about 4 bottle with half of another, and i suppoesed to put 4 bottles of oil, its smoking and going trough my intake. should i empty out some oild from the bottom again and will that solve the prolblem or did i blew something? ... the car started good and fine, but just getting oil in my intake,... and smokign so much

No guess about it, 4.5 quarts is too much oil.

Crack the crank case bolt and let 1/2 quart or so drip/leak out.
    Otherwise, at speed you can look forward to blowing a few seals with the result that you'll spend more time under your hood repairing that.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Definitely drain the oil and refill with the correct amount. Depending on how tight you engine is (as in no oil leaks) it doesn't take very much overfill to start blowing seals. I would drain the oil, clean the intake, refill, and see what happens then. I actually doubt that you blew any seals, I think the oil, due to excess pressure, was just pushed up into the intake as that was the path of least resistance. Anyone else?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

No need to replace perfectly good oil!
        Should be able to just drain out enough to get to the appropriate level on the dip stick!
        And agreed, clean up the mess in the intake.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          No need to replace perfectly good oil!
          Should be able to just drain out enough to get to the appropriate level on the dip stick!
          Agreed. That's what I meant, even if it's not what I said.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

so just drain some of it and clean intake, so i diidnt mess up anything right?

Comment

not yet .....hopefully
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

ok so i did the air intake mod, it feels like itgave me a little more hp what else can i buy to make the stock b3 run faster ? no turbo.?

Comment

Don't feel bad 1993 Festiva, I did the same thing about month ago. After I added the oil, I took off and looked behind me and could see nothing but a big old smoke cloud behind me. I put car back in driveway and took oil drain plug out and drained out about 3/4 of quart. I then took off and drove car around and out on the highway and it smoked for a little while and after i got back it was ok. Now I watch how much I put in there. I thought I had blown an engine, scared me that the grey ghost was going down. Like I said, Its been a month now and all is good. Doesn't smoke anymore.
                  Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                  93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                  01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Somebody please advise how overfilling the crankcase by a small amount can "blow seals". Or even a quart or two overfilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
                      Somebody please advise how overfilling the crankcase by a small amount can "blow seals". Or even a quart or two overfilled.
                      I doubt it will blow any seals on our engines....but the increased pressure will let the oil push into places it souldn't. On a new tight engine ....they run higher pressures then our cars....I could see seals blowing if there is no where else for the oil to go.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

good hopefully , i will see,

Comment

Mine was a dumb move to tell you the truth. I hadn't driven ghost for about month and when I did start it up it was clattering. I figured I'd put about half quart of 5w-30 in it to help stop clattering sooner. After it stopped, I drove it around to get it warmed up real good I stopped and put some STP in it to mix with the oil and sort of coat everything real good. After I had put the the STP in, I took off and low and behold all this white smoke was following me. I was pretty far from home so by the time i got home the STP was pretty well mixed in with the oil and thats when i looked at dip=stick, huh, the dip-stick looking at dipstick, I know. So I drained oil down to just below full mark and drove it around some more to get it out of the intake. It quit smoking after a day and all is well again. But I did learn a lesson that I won't repeat again. So I'm not to old to learn at 62. Can I claim senior moment on this one??
                          Last edited by milehighbear; 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM.
                          Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                          93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

my car was clattering when I first started it before my tuneup , its been a year, since I turned on car. Did tune up, was clattering then stopped, but put too much oil in and is smoking a lot and went throught my intake. Today I cleaned out my intake and all the holes, tomorrow i will drain some oil out hoping I didn't break anything =). have the intake mod sound cool lol hopefully gives more air lol and a little more HP.
                            Last edited by Pu241; 06-27-2010, 06:34 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                            X