Check engine light on!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine light on!!!

Ok, about a week ago my cat gave out and my resonator(if thats what its called?) fell off. So for about a week ive been driving with no exhaust. ( i removed the cat pipes and muffler). I bought a whole new exhaust witch i was planning to get welded on today, but last night i had to drive 45 mile away (all highway 65-70mph) and on the way back my check engine light came on and i lost alot of power. So i pulled over and let it sit a while. checked oil, antifreeze, and drove off again then about a min later it happened again, i called my brother and he "came to the rescue". he put a quart or trans fluid in and i let him drive it home. he said it happened twice to him on the way but he just put the petal to the floor and the power came back a few seconds after. he said it might be my fuel injectors or something. any ideas what it might be? is it driving with no exhaust? of something else???...

90 festy L plus, just in case you were wondering
    1990 silver L plus 80k 5spd fms headers W.A.I.

I would check the code first. Here is a link that explains how. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17417
    Last edited by wybnrml; 06-30-2010, 03:03 PM.
    '90 LX

Comment

can u still check it if the check engine light isnt on??? cus its not anymore, it jus "bogs out" every now and then. it was like it was over heating or something, cuz i would let it sit and it would drive fine for a couple min and then it would happen again. my temp gauge doesnt work so idk??

Comment

I was always told running without an exhaust can burn your valves. I was also told that running with a clogged cat will do the same, so.... completely open or mostly closed does the same thing?
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

I like the sticky explaination, but it didn't list codes and their definitions I have them ..

02 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)
          08 Volume Air Flow (VAF)
          09 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT)

10 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor
          14 Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor
          15 Oxygen Sensor (O2S) - voltage always below 0.55V 17 Oxygen Sensor (O2S) - voltage does not change
          26 Canister Purge (CANP) Solenoid 34 Idle Air Control (IAC) Solenoid
          "

Comment

Originally posted by kyleeeee View Post
            I like the sticky explaination, but it didn't list codes and their definitions I have them ..
            They're in a Sticky in the Repair forum.
            Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
            '90 LX

Comment

nice ,,,,,,,,carb-e codes too. he did not say if it was a fuelly of carb-e powered

Comment

^^ Assuming it's the 90 in his sig, it would be FI.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

One my red B6D car I removed the CEL light in the dash. That seemed to cure the problem. Of course, the only problem is that the light was on! I have no idea why.

On my Aspire, the airbag light is on because the sensors and airbags are not hooked up. Until I remove the airbag dash light, a piece of electrical tape over the light works fine.

What's that you say? Actually find out what the problem is, and fix that? Ridiculous!
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

i bout some fuel injector cleaner and some marvelous mystery oil and put them in my tank, all day yesterday it ran fine. (i babied it of coarse) but this morning when i got in, she started fine but first and second gears were "bumpy". power kept on coming and going. i did what my brother did and just gave it more gas and she drove just fine for the rest or the way home... any ideas???

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      One my red B6D car I removed the CEL light in the dash. That seemed to cure the problem. Of course, the only problem is that the light was on! I have no idea why.

On my Aspire, the airbag light is on because the sensors and airbags are not hooked up. Until I remove the airbag dash light, a piece of electrical tape over the light works fine.

What's that you say? Actually find out what the problem is, and fix that? Ridiculous!
                      If you can't see it, it ain't there.:tard:

To the OP, do you have an exhaust system on the car, or are you still running wide open from before the cat? I would not recommend driving it any more than you absolutely have to until you get some sort of system in place. Just my opinion tho. I know on my Malibu, the exhaust broke loose just before the cat. The car ran like crap (tho those cars have a second O2 sensor at the cat, so that may be why).

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I don't think we have enough info for a proper diagnoses.
                        How much fuel did you have when this loss of power showed up?
                        Is your temp gage itself non-functional or is the lead from the sensor disconnected/broken/corroded?
                        Need to make sure that is working.
                        Don't need a warped head on top of everything else.
                        I assume the car was running fine without an exhaust, until the night the check engine light lit up?
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

i had a quarter tank of gas, and im not sure about the gauge. it was like that when i bought it how do i check whats wrong with it? and yeah it was running fine without the exhaust jus a lil loud lol

Comment

o yeah, im gettin my exhaust welded on tomorrow

Comment

ok exhaust has to wait a lil either tomorro or tuesday

Comment

Working...
                              X