Air cond problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air cond problems.

OK, so i bought a 92 GL awhile back and in the evening it would blow fairly cold air,warm air in the day time, so i'm thinking i'll put another can in and that will do it, bzz wrong answer started blowing warm air,next we pumped it down for a half hour and added two cans,started to cool then went warm,noticed pump clutch is throwing sparks,ordered new pump,put it on today,added two cans freon,now it cycles around 34 lbs,reved engine a little,high presure pop off let go,no more freon. OK experts i could use some help. Thanks
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Did you refill with 134? If so you need to use less 134 the r12. You only need 80-85% the 134 compared to r12.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Yes Sir, i did refill with r134A i can do the math on 80% of 25oz. but then i would be guessing at whats left in the can,so i'll check at the local repair shop and see if their machine has a read out of ounces that have been loaded into the system.Why does it start to cool then turn warm? to much pressure.How is your pup doing,the pain in your arm would seem small to the pain in your heart if your pup passed away.

Thanks for the help and have a great weekend.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

sounds like your compressor internally blew up throwing metal into the entire system . when this happens, the lines and orifice get plugged up, the compressor no longer can pump r 134 through the system and blows offf the high pressure valve. Take your old compressor and see if you can turn it by hand , if so look down inside where the lines went to see if aluminum dust inside. Clutches usually dont just go bad they begin to slip because it will not turn the compressor and grind them selves to death.

Comment

KYLEEEEE,
          Thanks for the advice i'll get on it first thing tomorrow.

Comment

air cond problems

Well i got around to looking at the compressor unit,no problems,turns free and no shavings,pulled some lines and all clean,next i'll take it to a shop and ask them to put 20-21oz in the system.

Comment

Sounds like you may have overfilled it.. Also with those cans i have been told not to turn them over because it will let too much in at a time and it will freeze the line.. I dont know how true this is i usually sit there and shake the can while it is straight up and down until it gets light then flip in over the get the remainder out.. I dont know what gauge you are using to see how much is in it but if it is one of the cheap ones from a parts store like i used to use in order to check the amount that is in it you have to close the can off to get a proper reading other wise you will put too much... Used to do a can in my neon once a month, great for the ozone im sure...
              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Flyin4stoke

Well i think i did most of it wrong, 25HP says,fill to 80/85% with r134a and i put two 12 oz cans in and thats why it poped off, as for shaking it, i know the can was shook from side to side.so from what i have learned your method is probably right.I did call the shop were my son works and his machine does tell the oz's, so as i'm writing this, my son call's and says did you do the poor mans check and yup i did so if the system is pluged it must be at the orifice.The parts are not the problem,[cost wise] it's getting the time to change them.

Have you had any luck sellin your car.

Thanks for the help.

It is a good quality guage set.
                Last edited by sc72; 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

be very sure the fan runs when a/c is turned on, if not, the high side will spike and can blow the popper again (400+ psi)
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                    Sounds like you may have overfilled it.. Also with those cans i have been told not to turn them over because it will let too much in at a time and it will freeze the line.. .
                    Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                    Well i think i did most of it wrong, 25HP says,fill to 80/85% with r134a and i put two 12 oz cans in and thats why it poped off, as for shaking it, i know the can was shook from side to side.so from what i have learned your method is probably right.I did call the shop were my son works and his machine does tell the oz's, so as i'm writing this, my son call's and says did you do the poor mans check and yup i did so if the system is pluged it must be at the orifice.The parts are not the problem,[cost wise] it's getting the time to change them.

Have you had any luck sellin your car.

Thanks for the help.

It is a good quality guage set.

I bought a kit that came with the cans of freon and a filler hose with a gauge and trigger on it. The filled range is 25 - 45 I believe and in the directions for filling on the back of any can I have used...it says to rock the can while filling from the 1 oclock position to the 3 oclock position. Worked GREAT in my car.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

okay, I'm no expert but this is what I'd do. I'd start over, lol. Especially if the high side popped off and drained your system? or what?

wait til it's later in the day and cooler outside maybe around 8pm.
                      open all the windows.
                      turn on the car.
                      turn on the AC to MAX fan output.

pop the hood
                      take off the low side plug
                      hook up your can and line with guage

Now, start depressing the trigger allowing freon into the system. it's going to kick on and off the system for a little while. Honestly for REALLY HOT days, my wife's car still has a bit too much freon in it. so don't go more than 35-40 psi. In fact...the lower the better from what I've seen common people talk about online. But your call. The higher you go, the more pressure, the more times in hot weather it's going to expand and kick off and on, off and on, off and on because of the dual pressure switch.

and the one I got was from walmart for like 20 bucks, big tall can with the hose and guage. and then you have a guage and you don't need to buy those anymore, just the cans.
                      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Hey Walth thanks for the advice,i'm still working on it,but no luck yet .:angry3:

Comment

Thanks fellas for the help,i'm getting cool air now and no leaks.It was a combo of all the suggestions.

Comment

awesome. glad to hear it's back to normal and enjoyable!!
                            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
                            X