Thumping noise while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumping noise while driving

Just bought a '93 Festiva L. Runs great and I love it, but there is an odd continuous thump noise in the floor (you can feel it.) The faster the car goes, the faster the thumping gets. This happens at any speed. I checked the wheels and there are no lug nuts loose or bent rims. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    James
    BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Welcome!

Where can it be felt? Under the driver, right rear, etc.? Have you taken a good look at the tires to be sure there is no separation? You may not even be able to see it, the steel belts inside the tires may be separating. Could the thumping be confused for a grabbing? Maybe the parking brake?
    In the 90's we had Clinton in office. We also had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama in office and we have no Hope and no Cash.
    God grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, strength to change what I cannot accept, and wisdom to hide the bodies of those who piss me off!:-)
    This is NOT an abandoned vehicle

Comment

Does it have new struts on it ? Welcome to the site !!
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I took another look at it and there doesn't appear to be any separation. The tires are pretty old, but worn evenly. It doesn't have new struts either. As for where the thump comes from I'm not exactly sure. It seems to be coming from the front, maybe the left side. It can definitely be felt in the floor though.

Comment

Check engine and trans mounts also.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

James your not lost are you and driving through a crowded mall,that would give you that bumping sensation. Welcome to the site.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
              James your not lost are you and driving through a crowded mall,that would give you that bumping sensation. Welcome to the site.
              :laughing3::laughing3:

I hate it when that happens.

My money's on the tires. Either you've got a belt separating that is not causing a bulge yet, or they need to be balanced. Just my two cents, tho.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
                ..there is an odd continuous thump noise in the floor (you can feel it.) The faster the car goes, the faster the thumping gets. This happens at any speed. I checked the wheels and there are no lug nuts loose or bent rims.
                I have almost the exact same thing happening on the DeathEgg; a continuous "thump" noise, very slight though, accompanied by a vibration that matches the sound.

On my car, it's a bent rim.

When I got my new rear tires a while back, I asked them to balance the RF wheel, since I saw that the wheel weights had come off. He called me back to the shop and told me he couldn't balance the RF, because the wheel was bent. He started up the balancing machine, and I could see then, when the wheel was turning, that it was out of round. I realized right then that the bent rim was causing my noise, etc. Your comment that you really can't tell where the noise is coming from is dead-on for what my car was doing too.

If you can't spot anything else, I'd take it to an alignment shop, and have them look at each wheel on the balancing machine.
                Last edited by deathegg; 07-04-2010, 10:11 AM.
                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                Mark S.

Comment

Try rotating tires and see if there's any difference. If so then my monies on a tire or rim.
                  If not I'd try a piece of hose in one ear and the other on the floor in different spots to see where the sound is loudest. Cheap and worth a try.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
                    Just bought a '93 Festiva L. Runs great and I love it, but there is an odd continuous thump noise in the floor (you can feel it.) The faster the car goes, the faster the thumping gets. This happens at any speed. I checked the wheels and there are no lug nuts loose or bent rims. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                    James
                    Wow.. deja voo
                    Read my thread, and then read yours. Almost identicle!
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29640
                    If I were you, i'd look to see if the struts look oil soaked. They wont look "wet", but will look kinda like stained, where the oil has leaked out. Usually this is a dead strut and will also make the car bounce when hitting a pothole. Can be dangerous as mine leapt into the next lane on the highway when I hit a pot hole. Luckily no one was next to me!
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

jamesmc What was the thumping noise? Did you figure it out?
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                        jamesmc What was the thumping noise? Did you figure it out?
                        Well, I did a tire rotation and the noise didn't change at all. My best guess is that it's coming from the driver's side front wheel. Since I think it desperately needs news tires anyway, I'll save up for those before I start replacing anything else. So I haven't figured it out, but I'll keep trying.

Comment

I had the same problem with one of my neons. Long story short the guy I had gotten the steelies off of pretty much gave me a bent rim. And it did the same thing your festie is doin.

Comment

Take the caps off that exposes the top frt strut nut and see if they are tight. Will only take a minute. 14mm I believe
                            sigpic
                            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Another way to locate which side is to drive next to a wall. The sound will bounce off the wall and by driving in both directions you can tell which side. One place to try is behind a mall.

Also if you have any speed bumps in your area they are good for diagnosing thumps.

After I replaced the control arms on my car one of the pinch bolts loosened creating a thump. Tightening the pinch bolt solved the problem.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X