Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing

What is the engine timing before top dead center?

Guess I should mention that I just bought a 1993 Festiva 4 cyl. 5 speed. If that helps any. It was not running when I bought it. Discovered that they by-passed the fuel cut off switch. Put one back in it and now it is running. At least for now. But the timing seems to be off some. I'm having trouble believing that the fuel cut off switch is all that kept it from starting. So I guess I will wait and see. You would never guess what is was hooked to......Drive side rear speaker wire that is supposed to go to the speaker. LMAO
    Another question I have is that the spark plugs have been in there so long they will not come out. Any suggestions on what to use so I can get them out with hopefully not breaking them. I heard this is a common problem with these cars. The previous owner said he did break one at one time and cost him a pretty penny to get it fixed. Any help on these problem would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

spray some PB blaster type spary down in the spark plug holes with wires labled and removed, then respray 2 or 3 times.
      gently try to remove them. that should work or at least it always has for me.
      My first cars plugs were original from factory, and I used that process.

As far as timing, Look for a SHOP manual on EBAY! they can be found cheap.
      also a haynes manual is ok.
      93L sold. First FESTY!
      91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
      91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
      89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
      93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
      89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
      93GL Sold Too Soon!
      91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Timing is 10 degrees BTDC(white mark on pulley) according to Haynes.

The aforementioned PB blaster is your friend here! Spray, spray again, and again, and again.....

Eventually, with gentle but firm pressure, being sure not to round off the head of the plug, you should be able to get it out!

Welcome to the greatest forum on earth!
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Also, it can help if you try to remove the plugs when the motor is cooling down; not completely hot or cold.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X