odd autotransmission and odder findings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd autotransmission and odder findings

First off I will start with the driving symptoms since I did not do a stall test or pressure tests. Slipping in reverse, took around 2000 rpm b4 it would start to slowly move on flat surface. 1st gear slipping just slightly first 3 seconds of acceleration. Delay between gears were way off shifting at 15, 25, 30 under 1/4 pedal normally at 20, 30, 40 mph at 1/4 pedal. Now downshifting once in 3rd gear, coast to start and start off acted like 3rd gear, would manually shift to a slightly slipping 1st gear and hard shifts to each gear manually. Soft shifting on up shift (auto) but hard up shifting when manually shifting. Did fluid and filter change, fluid did not have a very burnt smell to it was not black or brown just deep red. Wiped 2 paper towels of black out of pan with little bit of sludge one magnet, gray sludge. Little metal flakes on magnet. Pan has not been dropped since 04 or early 05 and approx. 80k miles put on it. After fluid change and half bottle of Lucas tran fix acted a little softer in the shifts than normal but shifted ok after first manual shift. On start up and take off it would stick 1st gear till manually shifted to 2nd then 3rd next start from dead stop acted fine, shift to reverse was a soft but reverse was not slipping once accelerating, normally shift is a little more pronounced. Drove through town till normal op temp then shut down to test cold start driving. Same as I described in town in above after cold start. Took car home which was 15 min of highway driving at 55 mph did fine but little slippage from 1st from dead stop. Got into 10 to 15 min of rural driving any where from 45 to 55 mph with 5 stops miles apart. Each rural start there was no down shift from 3rd I had to manually shift into 1st still slipping a little at first start then go through the gears manually at normal speeds stiff shifts. Once home had a 10 mph drive for a minute through development and pulled in. Once in drive way tried reverse it slipped till around 2000 rpm then would slowly back up. Ok the odd transmission part. I dropped the trans and went through the steps to take it apart. Band was tight to where I could not slip the direct clutch out without backing out the adjustment, band looked every bit as thick as a new band. Inside case was clean upon splitting. Took out clutch packs and gear assemblies and lined them up in correct order. Took clutch packs out one by one, no warped steels which were thicker than what I was expecting for this little car (honda's are thinner), all the frictions looked like new and as thick as new, could still see the angled cuts in the frictions. The gov. looked ok weights were free to expand out, hand tested. Have not pulled the pistons apart or the servo apart yet. Guys I am getting frustrated with this transmission I was expecting burned frictions or to at least find a problem. I have found nothing but I have two theories on this one, 1st stuck or sticking servo, 2nd valve sticking in valve body. Are there any ports that I can air test to see if a piston or servo are sticking? Does any one have any thoughts?
Working...
X