Dip in idle when letting off gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dip in idle when letting off gas

This has been an ongoing problem that seems to be getting worse. I searched and found lots of rough idle problems(which i also had and fixed by searching!!) but none like what I am having.

When the car is warm and I am stopping at a light and clutch in at let off the gas the idle drops to 400-500 rpm almost stalls and the catches itself and returns to normal. I can recreate it by just tapping the gas while idleing. I also have a bad neutral saftey switch and can get the car to do this by simply putting it into gear(then the car idles up) and putting it back into neutral at a stop, and the car idle will drop and then return to normal.

Ive tested for vacuum leaks, replaced cap,rotor,wires and plugs(they were due anyway) and adjusted the TPS to solve my rough idle. The car was doing this prior to the TPS adjustment as well. Im assuming its related to the problem of the car "bogging" when there is higher electrical load as well. Not thumping stereo load but simply having the headlights on and a the signals or brake lights or even reverse lights.

Ive read up on some IAC complaint threads but many end without a solution or with conflicting info. I am leaning to a bad IAC but wanted everyones input.

Thanks!

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

I am having the same problem, but my drops to the first line above 0 on the tach... maybe 200rpm? This is sometimes in neutral, and sometimes it reverses and does it in gear, and idles back up in neutral. It's a ghost or something...
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

My new 91 was doing the same thing...It turned out to be a bad or loose connection at the fuse block...And alt. plug... was loose... Fixed both and it runs like a champ...

Comment

^^ill take a look!

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Hooooly resurrection!

any updates on this? I'm sure this is a pretty common issue...
          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

My b6t does the same thing. Never shuts off just idles down for a second. But it doesn't help that I'm blowing off metered air.
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

To me, this problem sounds like an IAC problem, maybe the valve is dirty and slow to open as you let off the gas (reason for it dropping to a low idle then catching itself) or possibly a dirty connection, but either way I would start looking at the IAC

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

X2, a dirty/sluggish IAC can let the revs drop too much, but still catch itself as it openssssss ssssssllllllooooooooooooooooooowwwwlllllyyyyyyy. Never tried to clean a Festiva one as I never had this problem, but I had to do it to both my Hondas (88 CRX, 89 Accord hatch) and also on Honda's owned by a few of my buddies.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

hmm...I don't even have my IAC plugged in. lol. haven't for...6+ months or more. when I plug it in it idles at like 2000+. just need to replace it I guess but has never given me an issue without it plugged in.
                  Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

try a new dash pot on it. its the valve that controls your
                    idle
                    1992 black GL
                    1991 white GL
                    1991 blue L parts car
                    1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
                    1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment