Carbon canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon canister

What's the feeling about the carbon canister? I've got a 90 EFI and was wondering if it would have an adverse affect on mileage or performance if I removed it. Anyone have any hands on experience? If it's main benefit is to pass emissions...not really an issue...but I also don't want the check engine light on.
    Thanks,
    Tex

What's the benefit of removing it?
    Oscar

Comment

Freeing up space is about it. A carbon canister just filters the vent from the gas tank. It robs no power just takes up space. If you get rid of it, you will smell gas fumes more often.

Comment

Yeah, unless you really need the space I wouldn't remove it.
        Oscar

Comment

When you shut off the engine some fumes will leak out into the atmosphere unless they are captured and held in the canister until you start the car again when they are sucked into the engine and burnt. A couple of times when I replaced the fuel filter I accidentally pulled the hose off the canister. When I got in the car I could smell gas fumes because the hose was open. If you block the hose you should not smell fumes. If you take the car for an emissions test and they see the canister is missing the car won't pass. Where I live it's illegal to disconnect any emission control devices.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
          X