engine starts and idles beatifully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine starts and idles beatifully

yeh hi,i would like some help with my 1994 wb festiva 1.3 litre trio,it starts and idles well,but when i step down on the accelerator,itchokes and dies and couyghs and splutters,it will rev if i ever so gently apply the accelerator.
    ive got a new fuel pump...........and new fuel filter..........and new distibuter !
    thanks in advance mull

Hey I have a 95 wb awesome little cars.
    Anyway check all of the vacuume lines. I had one go where it wouldn't idle but would run if you had the accelorator down. Basicly the oposite. Turned out to be one of the main vacuume lines. Even the little buggers check em. That and check that the plugs at the air filter are in and not dirty and check that the filter isn't blocked and all and any plugs that are around the inlet manafold.

Brian
    Fun and Festy!
    www.zappascomputers.com.au
    My Festy, My Girls Festy and My Hillman Minx

Comment

Dang! This very thing started on my Festiva yesterday. Had to drive truck to work today. I'll be monitoring this thread! I think it may be a SENSOR though, not vacuum. TPS, O2, or similar.
      Who's got the answer to this problem?
      Last edited by drddan; 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

mull072, you should add your location to you profile, there may be someone close, who can help you out. (not to mention, it's in the rules)
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

[QUOTE=drddan;347651....not to mention, it's in the rules[/QUOTE]

Agreed it would be nice to know his location.
          Helpful for both himself and us, but please show me where in the site rules this is required.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My bad, John. NOT a rule to post location. Just thought is was since some peeps make a big deal of it. Guess that's what I get for thinkin'! :p
            Dan

R.I.P.
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

From Australia,car is fuel injected,and the problem started to occur after about 2 or 3 miles from my house one morning .....was goin great then took of from set of lights and she started ta play up......like i say idles fines.....but when ya put ya foot down .ie between gears she hesitates and carries on....when its idling i can take each spark plug lead of and i here a change in the motor....so at least under no load everything both mechanicly and electrically are fine ......its just revving the engine and thats outta gear !
              so not even any load on the engine when im trying ta accelerate
              thanks again guys for reading.....
              ps....the car is only worth 1500 tops......so i really dont wanna go to a dealer fro a appraisal and pay a third of that for the priveledge hence why im here..
              pps...i dont here any vacuum leaks......and not excactly sure what sensors to look at which could contribute to this problem
              take care

Comment

brianfestiva..........u know those to sensors which u speak of on the airfilter box{one reasonably sealed plastic box and the other screwed into the plastic air filter housing}if u unplug them does the car rev freely still?and also what are those sensors technically called/and or for.......cheers
                if i unplug the plug to that little rectangular plastic box on top of the aircleaner duct.......no change occurs at all
                take care

Comment

I my self am unsure exactly what they are, my guess would be an air flow sensor, vacuume sensor and some other stuff, heven't really looked into it but I could find out. Anyway if you unplug them you shouldn't notice too much from the engine untill you hit the accelerator. I accidentaly left them off and couldn't get it over 2.5k RPM. Where abouts do you live in Aus? I am at Aldinga Adealide. If you live near buy could swap the filter pod and see if its the sensors in it. Also you won't always hear a vacuume leak. You will have to check them manualy for cracks and stuff.

Brian
                  Fun and Festy!

Comment

im in perth.......is the firing order 1342?
                    cheers

Comment

Yep my manual says 1342.
                      Fun and Festy!

Comment

so on the distributer i got 2 plugs plus a condensor/suppressor not sure which to call it which has a spade fitting on the end which plugs into the dizzy...my question is that when i disconnect that spade fitting i get no change in the engine.....should i notice a change when i disconnect the suppressor /condensor?thanks agian for taken the time ta read
                        mull

Comment

No, thats more or less to stop your more sensitive equipment from getting interference eg your sterio.
                          Fun and Festy!

Comment

Working...
                          X