Aspire getting only 22mpg!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire getting only 22mpg!!

this is a stock aspire, and it's in good mechanical condition/maintenance. exhaust is NOT restricted and the intake is clear as well. as of this week it's getting 22 MPG and that's while being driven like an old lady.

any suggestions? if I'm not mistaken it should be getting around 35mpg.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Re: Aspire getting only 22mpg!!

Originally posted by FestYboy
    this is a stock aspire, and it's in good mechanical condition/maintenance. exhaust is NOT restricted and the intake is clear as well. as of this week it's getting 22 MPG and that's while being driven like an old lady.

any suggestions? if I'm not mistaken it should be getting around 35mpg.
    Try a can of SeaFoam and see what it does to your MPG.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I'm going to start buying stock in seafoam :lol: :lol:
      ------------------------------------------------
      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

You need to do what tim said first... seafoam it two or three times through the brake booster. I would also clean the TB and don't scrimp on the spray, and get a big bottle of techron run it first then use MMO and run it through a couple tanks. How new are your plugs, wires, cap, rotor? If any doubt replace them. Next O2 sensor replace it unless you've already have. Timing belt how new they should be replaced every 65-100k, they stretch out throwing your timing off.. my festiva has 135k on the original I can tell the timing's off. You could clean the MAF, I used a cotton swab and some glass cleaner non-residue type. I did all of this and I went from 34 to 37 on the highway but still get 30-33 in stopngo. Smaller tires help as well I went from 175/80 to 165/70.. big difference just don't put 40 psi in the 165/70 make your teeth fall out. Good luck.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32
          You need to do what tim said first... seafoam it two or three times through the brake booster. I would also clean the TB and don't scrimp on the spray, and get a big bottle of techron run it first then use MMO and run it through a couple tanks. How new are your plugs, wires, cap, rotor? If any doubt replace them. Next O2 sensor replace it unless you've already have. Timing belt how new they should be replaced every 65-100k, they stretch out throwing your timing off.. my festiva has 135k on the original I can tell the timing's off. You could clean the MAF, I used a cotton swab and some glass cleaner non-residue type. I did all of this and I went from 34 to 37 on the highway but still get 30-33 in stopngo. Smaller tires help as well I went from 175/80 to 165/70.. big difference just don't put 40 psi in the 165/70 make your teeth fall out. Good luck.
          My japanese "Aspire" (Mazda 121) gets around 26mpg all the time - has done since 16,000 miles and now at 56000 miles...

Changing to smaller tyres is just kidding yourself for fuel economy.

The tyres rotate faster producing an error in the actual mileage driven. This means that your economy will improve as far as the odometer is concerned as it will report more miles - but the fact is you are reading the true mileage incorrectly.

You might actually get some improvement in economy but it won't be the full amount.

I've changed from stock 185/60 14's to 155/70-13's and thats an error of 6% already.

Go to the gallery and look for the Jap Spec 121 thread where you can get a link to calculate te error. The table showed a 5.93% error for me - but I already estimated it as 6% from speed testing.

Does anybody know how to test the o2 sensor?

O2 sensors are very cheap in the USA at Autozone etc but they are at least double the price over here in the UK....like everything else.... :evil:

Not to mention our $7 a gallon gas!!! :cry:
          Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Comment

I've done the SeaFoam thing before and the O2 is in good working order (tested w/ an oscilloscope) the MAF is the heated self cleaning type, so that's out. air filter is new. the plugs are 5000 mi new (platinum) cap and rotor are clean. the tranny is being a bitch but the engine is WAY down in power and it isn't the tranny's fault completely. when the car was bought, it was getting 30mpg in town less than a year ago.

hope this helps narrow it down a bit.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy
              I've done the SeaFoam thing before and the O2 is in good working order (tested w/ an oscilloscope) the MAF is the heated self cleaning type, so that's out. air filter is new. the plugs are 5000 mi new (platinum) cap and rotor are clean. the tranny is being a bitch but the engine is WAY down in power and it isn't the tranny's fault completely. when the car was bought, it was getting 30mpg in town less than a year ago.

hope this helps narrow it down a bit.
              Do you have any links to an idiots guide to testing an O2 sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by gtd2000
                THis link contains some useful info:

White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

How cold is it in PA?

When the temps drop to freezing or below my gas mileage sucks.

Past few tanks it's been 29 mpg because it's been about 30 degrees. A few weeks ago when it was near zero I was getting 22.5 and 26 mpg or something (I could check the logs).

Also, check the compression.
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                  Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
                    Originally posted by gtd2000
                    THis link contains some useful info:

http://www.bobblick.com/techref/proj.../o2sensor.html
                    That was a pretty interesting read.

Comment

IM IN THE SAME BOAT GUYS

I WILL DO SOME CONVERTING

MY AUSTRALIAN FESTIVA 1995 model has really bad fuel economy at the moment im lucky to get 300km out of tank of fuel

my car at max we fill it from bottom to top has 8 gallon tank and im only getting 186 miles

works out at 23 Mto a gallon

before i was getting 450-500km out of a tank about 280 out of 1 tank

im going to double check my air filters etc properly this afternoon

Comment

Don't forget fuel filters.
                        www.dantheoilman.com
                        AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                        Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan
                          Don't forget fuel filters.
                          Changed mine...no difference at all for me.. :cry:

Everything has been changed that would normally be a contributing factor.

Air Filter, Plugs, Petrol Filter, Plug Leads..distributor cap/rotor removed and checked and cleaned.

Car starts/idles perfectly so distributor "should" not be the problem...well not to the extent of say 10-15mpg anyway... :?:

None of my mates (buddies) can believe the MPG I get.... ops:

Comment

ive lost over 10 mpg

Comment

Does your cars have EGR? Clean it or block it off and see what she does.
                              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                              X