Weak spark and no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak spark and no start

My mother inlaws 89 efi festiva wont start. They changed the fuel pump the coil, cap and rotor, wires and plugs. It cranks good im not familiar with these little cars so any direction would help.pulled the plugs and there is spark. The problem happens when she drives down the road it will stall and then she can put it in neutral and restart it until this last time it died for good. This last time was a couple weeks after the fuel pump and plugs were changed. I smell fuel when its being cranked and i wide open throttle it. Any help would be great.

Was all the stuff that was changed done to address this problem, or is this new since after the work was done?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Have you checked that the coil has a good connection at both ends?
      Fun and Festy!
      www.zappascomputers.com.au
      My Festy, My Girls Festy and My Hillman Minx

Comment

Ok from what i was told she had this problem for awhile so they changed the plugs. It was fine for awhile. It happened again and it died completely so they changed the fuel pump and coil. I just did the cap and rotor and wires tonight cause the spark was weak it now has very good spark. I pulled off a fuel line and cranked it and plenty of fuel came out so fuel is getting to the injectors. Is there Anything that would make them not fire or does that go straight to the ECM?? I also check the timing belt that looked in good condition and was not slipping when cranked. So any thing you guys know i should check let me know. I dont have my compression gauge here so i cant chk those. Thats what i want to chk next. I removed the intake tube and sprayed it while cranking with starting fluid and i didnt get anything. Any input or ideas let me know thanks
        Last edited by bikerman5345; 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I read a post where there was a problem on a Festiva similar to yours and the Injectors were not working. Believe it was electrical. Fuse?
          Use the search function, and you should find it. I just got on site to do a search for some problems myself, or I would look for it for you. Good luck.
          Last edited by drddan; 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I had a similar problem on an '85 S10 blazer. It had all the makings of a running engine, but wouldn't start. Spark, compression, timing, fuel. Still no joy.

I finally bought a spark testing tool. KD tool 2756. It looks like a sparkplug with an alligator clip soldered onto it. No spark with the tester. Changed coil and that solved it.

I know it was posted that the coil was changed. Along with the rotor, cap wires and plugs.

I just think that for the sake of not chasing suspected issues I would want to verify that the ignition is strong enough to get the tester to spark.

Being you posted that you tried starting fluid and still no start I would still suspect an ignition issue.

Just my 2¢.

Comment

Is the spark orange or blue? If its orange your coil is faulty. If its blue its good. Somewhere between its still faulty. If it happens to be white thats really good! Hope this helps.

P.S. best to do this where there ain't much light

Brian
              Fun and Festy!
              www.zappascomputers.com.au
              My Festy, My Girls Festy and My Hillman Minx

Comment

Intermittent stalling is a sysmptom of a failing ignition control module, ie transitorized points. You can take the module out and have it tested for free at some auto parts stores. For more info look in www.ag384bn.bravehost.com/Cars.htm
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sorry, looks like that web page is no longer avialable.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Main relay, driver side inner fender, on a bracket next to the radiator overflow tank, just behind the headlight. Small metal can with a pigtail wire connection. replace it.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

ok ill try the relay. I dont think the module would be it i have really good spark now. im still wondering why starting fluid wouldnt make it pop off

Comment

Does anyone have a part number for the main relay? I am trying to get one from a parts store, but of course they can't find it in their system, but then again neither could I when I tried rock auto. Any assistance would be great!

Comment

If it's getting fuel and spark, I'd think it would have to be a timing issue or compression. Whenever I change the rotor bug it messes me up, why did they make it fit on three different ways 
                          Last edited by Occhty; 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM.
                          (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by Occhty View Post
                            If it's getting fuel and spark, I'd think it would have to be a timing issue or compression. Whenever I change the rotor bug it messes me up, why did they make it fit on three different ways 
                            Mark where it is pointing before you change it
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Diagnose, THEN replace!

I would line up the timing. Make sure everything is pointing at top dead center, and that the rotor is pointing at the number one cylinder. You checked for good spark, nice and blue? Were the new wires the cheapo depot kind? I have bought some where the plug seems to slip off the coil...

Check for water in the oil, and oil in the water. That compression test would be a GREAT idea. Autozone loans them out....
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X